News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Solved: How do you set up SimConnect on an FSX machine?

Started by ou81aswell, September 06, 2010, 08:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ou81aswell

I'd like to run Plan-G on a different computer so I don't have to switch out of FSX and then have ATC cancel my IFR plan because I missed their instructions while scrolling around in Plan-G.

Since I'm using FSX, I chose SimConnect in the FSX options but soon realized that the FSX machine must be running some sort of server to handle SimConnect client requests on a specific port.

I can't find anything on configuring SimConnect from an end-user's perspective. A Google search resulted in lots of information relating to an SDK and code samples but nothing about how an end-user would configure it.

How do I configure my FSX machine so it runs the necessary SimConnect software that Plan-G requires? Is SimConnect part of FSX or is it a separate package altogether?

I have FSX (non-gold) with SP2 running on an I5 based Win7x64 box.

Thanks.

Joe M

See the manual. Page 56 "Connecting to FSX from a Networked PC with SimConnect". That will give you the steps necessary.  The manual is located in your PlanG folder. Usually C:/Program Files/Plan-G/Plan_G Manual.pdf.

ou81aswell

Thanks. The solution was straight forward. Now I am trying to figure out how to build the FSX database on the Plan-G machine. Without it, none of the airports or navaids show up. The option to build it is greyed out.

Here's what I did to get Plan-G working from a different machine:

192.168.0.xxx is the IP address of the FSX machine.

I created a SimConnect.xml file (see below) in C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX on the FSX machine and then started FSX. My Windows Firewall popped up when I ran FSX asking me to confirm that I would like to allow FSX to use port 4506. I said yes.

I switched to the Plan-G machine and ran Plan-G. I chose File -> Options -> FS Connection and selected:

Connect with: SimConnect
Network Mode:  IPv4
FSX Computer: 192.168.0.xxx
Server Port/Pipe: 4506

After clicking OK to save the changes, I then clicked the Connect button in the FSX (SimConnect) section of the ribbon's Home Tab and it connected.

My SimConnect.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
<SimConnect.Comm>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
  <Scope>global</Scope>
  <Address>192.168.0.xxx</Address>
  <MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
  <Port>4506</Port>
  <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
  <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>

tim arnot

It's easiest to build the db on the FS machine, and copy it across.

Tim. @TimArnot

ou81aswell

Thanks. I copied Plan-G.mdb from the Plan-G folder on the FSX machine to the Plan-G folder on the networded machine. All is well.

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot

lfishe

I have Plan G installed on my FSX machine.  I updated the database with no problem.  I have Plan G installed on my Network machine using simconnect.  I do not find a Plan-G.mdb file in a Plan G folder on my FSX machine, But I have two Plan-G.mdb files one with a date of  12/18/09 and the other a date of 11/04/09.  On my network machine I have the map and asking me to Build the Database, but the FSX is grayed out.  There are not Plan-G.mdb files on the network machine.  Are the files I found in the search the correct files to move to the network computer and what file do I put them in?  I found them by a search.  These files came from the  my F Drive, Utilities Folder, which is the folder that holds my zip folders 0.8.1, 0.9.0., V2 does not have any.  I am certain that when I built the db it was from my FSX, but I don't know where it is.  I installed Plan G to my D drive, which is only for FSX in the Program files\TA Software\Plan G\Bookmarks, Data, DEM, Javscript, Plans, WebIcons.  Data has .sdf files, Plans has 9 flightplans, others are place holders,etc.  I never installed the earlier versions.

Thanks,
Lynn

tim arnot

No. The mdb files relate only to version 0.9 or earlier. If you wish to transfer the data for 2.0, copy the contents of the Plan-G\Data folder.

Tim. @TimArnot

lfishe

Thank you for the quick response.  I copied the files from FSX computer to Network Computer.  I tried to connect to FSX.  Got message it could not find FSX, recheck configuration.  I went to the file, options, location, and input the location of the FSX.exe file by going to network, then the FSX program(86), etc to the FSX.exe file.  Then did the same thing for the scenery.cfg.  The FSX icon on the Data tab became active.  I rebuilt the database and it worked.  I know because I watched as it read all the files.   My simconnect.xml file when I did this was:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
<SimConnect.Comm>
   <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
   <Scope>global</Scope>
   <Address>Computer Name</Address>     
   <Port>6600</Port>                       
   <MaxClients>10</MaxClients>
   <MaxRecvSize>8192</MaxRecvSize>
   <DisableNagle>True</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document> 

<SimConnect.Comm>
<Protocol>Auto</Protocol>
<Scope>global</Scope>
<Address>Computer Name</Address>
<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
<Port>4506</Port>
<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>

I cannot get it to connect to FSX.  I have loaded FSX 1st and Plan G 1st.  I have changed the Auto to IPv4, changed the port to 1507, 4508 and no difference.  I have gone to my DOS screen and input IPconfig to get my FSX computers IPv4 address which is xxx.xxx.x.100.  My networked computer is xxx.xxx.x.102.  The Gateway is different.  I know that you show the normal IP Address as 192.168.0.2, as an example, but it read as above on the Networked computer I cannot get the flightplans from the FSX computer because it does not know where they are.  I get the message "unable to connect to Flightsim (Timeout). Check to see if FSX is running"etc.  I have Rex running with no problem, which is the 1st code on the simconnect.xml.
Thanks,
Lynn

lfishe

Attached is my log file from the network computer.

Thanks,
Lynn

tim arnot

You have written"computer name" in Your simconnect.XML file. This must be the IP address that you obtained from running IPConfig - the number ending in .100

Then set the same number in the Plan-G connection dialog ( you have put a completely different name there!). set the protocol to IPv4 and the port number to 6600. This will use the first entry in your XML.

But the entries on BOTH PCs must match!

Tim. @TimArnot

kevinfirth

Thanks for the helpful guidance in this - I originally installed Plan G years ago but was never able to run it usefully as I always operate in full screen mode.  I recently upgraded to a better specced PC and decided to use the old one as a networked PC to run Aivlasoft EFD and Plan-G remotely.  I spent some hours investigating simconnect and trying to understand it and I now realise I was getting all confused over nothing and overcomplicating things!

I followed the guidance in this thread and it worked instantly for me :)

Thankyou :)
kevin