Connecting Plan G over network (simconnect) TIP

Started by barree, September 17, 2011, 03:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lygo

Yesterday afternoon, Peter and I  - well, Peter, really - managed to get my new computer seeing FSInn and it worked fine. However, the same could not be said for Plan-G unfortunately. I have FSX with Acceleration and Plan-G on my Win7 machine and Plan-G on my Vista machine. I got FSX running on the Win7 machine, and P-G on the Vista machine. So far so good. However, when I tried to connect P-G to FSX over the network, P-G crashed. I got the usual 'Plan-G has stopped working etc', then it closed. I can connect P-G to FSX when running both on the Win7 machine - no problems.
Vista machine ip = 192.168.0.2
Windows7 machine ip = 196,168.0.10
Here is a copy of the simconnect.xml file...
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
   <Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
   <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
   <SimConnect.Comm>
      <Disabled>False</Disabled>
      <Protocol>Auto</Protocol>
      <Scope>local</Scope>
      <Address>192.168.1.10</Address>
      <MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
      <Port>4506</Port>
      <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
      <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
   </SimConnect.Comm>

<SimConnect.Comm>
      <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
      <Scope>global</Scope>
      <Address>192.168.1.10</Address>
      <Port>4506</Port>
   </SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>
I have attached a copy of the P-G log.
Hoping you can make sense of the situation.

tim arnot

You are not establishing a connection. Looking at your simconnect.xml, you seem to have two listeners competing for the same IP/port combination. I'd suggest you change the "Auto" connection to a different port, or delete it. Other than that, make sure that the IP is correct and that you can ping between machines.

Tim. @TimArnot

John Lygo

Got it sorted Tim, thanks. Changed the ip address to 192.168.0.10 and all is well now. Cheers.

jrocky

Having Plan-G simconnect issues. Attaching log zip file with simconnect xml under the log file. Recently installed a new motherboard, there might be some issue there but not sure. I can view files from the computer running Plan-G and the FSX computer. Looked at the BIOS configuration of the motherboard and can not see any setup that might cause failure of connecting two computers over local network. Also the router configuration is set to allow the Plan-G MAC address to pass though the router firewall.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 with AMD FX 6300 6-core 3.5Ghz processor. 

jrocky

tim arnot

Could you please attach the logs as plain text - I'm not sure what you did, but I can't open that zip file. Thx.

Tim. @TimArnot

jrocky

Tim,
Here is the log file and simconnect xml in plain text.

jrocky

tim arnot

The first thing to check is that you can ping the IP6 link-local addresses of both machines, in each direction. If you've got a old switch in your network, you may find it does not pass IP6 traffic correctly, for instance.

If that doesn't resolve it, I'd suggest trying IPv4.

Tim. @TimArnot

jrocky

Was able to ping both ways on both computers. Changed SimcConnect.xml to Ip4 also on Plan G connection. Times out same as the log file I attached in previous message.  The fault may be with the other computer I am trying to network. Running Windows 10 Technical Preview Evaluation copy, Build 9860.

There is a form for Windows 10 issues, will post on that form and see if anyone has an answer.

jrocky

jrocky

Borrowed a laptop with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Installed Plan-G, configured router to pass laptop MAC and IP addresses. Plan-G still timed out using IPv6 and IPv4 SimConnect.xml. Plan-G times out and shuts down. Must be something in the motherboard BIOS that I am not configuring correctly? Running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on the FSX computer. IPv6 and IPv4 enabled for Windows networking on the FSX computer. Not sure what I need to configure to have network SimConnect working? Plan-G runs on the FSX computer fine using 'localhost' with FSX running in Windowed mode.

jrocky

tim arnot

Ok, confirm that the IP is for the FSX PC and no the Plan-G one. Then try using a different port number (e.g. 4567) - maybe that port is already in use on your system.

Tim. @TimArnot

jrocky

Finally able to connect Plan-G from computer running Windows 10 Technical Preview Evaluation copy. Build 9860 to computer running FSX on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  :) Changing the port to 4567 and using IPv4 worked. Had an idea that this would work as after changing SimConnect.xml to IPv4 and port to 4567, loading FSX the dialog error message appeared advising that the port was being blocked. Had the option to allow the port on the Home network, selected allow option.

Thanks for all the assistance Tim!

Windows 10 will be released in 2015, no exact date has been posted. Windows 10 seems to be a little more user friendly than Windows 8.1. I understand Microsoft has stopped selling Windows 8 via DVD or on OEM computers. Windows 8.1 is the current OS that Microsoft is selling. Windows 10 opens in Desktop view, when clicking the Start button, the menu like Windows 7 appears along with app tiles to the right of the menu. One can remove, resize app tiles or remove them completely. Windows 10 Technical Preview is free OS http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso. Note if your running any previous Windows OS on a computer it will overwrite that OS so have your factory image saved so you can go back to a previous version of Windows. I have not tried dual boot Windows 7/10 configuration as of yet.

jrocky

Smokeywood

Greetings

I have been searching the forum and reading and making adjustments for
about 2 weeks now trying to get plan g3 on my laptop to connect to my fsx
on my desktop computer.

Finally it struck me where I had installed plan g on the laptop and I had installed
it in the program files (x86) folder.

When I uninstalled from that folder and reinstalled on drive c in folder of its own
and set the connection settings it connected the first time/

Hope this may help others.

Gene

John Lygo

For some unknown reason my Plan G will now not connect to FSX over the network. It connected fine the other day & I have done nothing to the connection parameters. Is this due to the vagaries of simconnect or is something else at work here. Attached is my PG log file and below is a copy of my simconnect file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
   <Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
   <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
   <SimConnect.Comm>
      <Protocol>Auto</Protocol>
      <Scope>local</Scope>
      <Address>192.168.0.3</Address>
      <Port>4506</Port>
   </SimConnect.Comm>

<SimConnect.Comm>
      <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
      <Scope>global</Scope>
      <Address>192.168.0.3</Address>
      <Port>4506</Port>
   </SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>

Hope you are able to throw some light on this situation Tim.
Cheers.

tim arnot

Did you restart something and get assigned a different IP address?

Tim. @TimArnot

John Lygo

That was it Tim, thanks. So how & why does that happen?