News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Plan-G and Prepar3D

Started by tim arnot, January 15, 2012, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim arnot

Plan-G is compatible with Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D sim, although it does take a small amount of effort to set up.

To build a P3D database you need a 'dead file' copy of fsx.exe in your main P3D folder (this can be any file at all, since it never needs to run, but it must be named fsx.exe). Then set up the file paths as follows:

FSX Program: E:\Prepar3D (or wherever you have it installed)
FSX Scenery.cfg: C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D (note: XP may be slightly different)

To be honest though, if you already have an FSX database built, there's little benefit to be gained in doing this, since the base navigation data appears to be the same as FSX.

Connect to P3D via SimConnect.

Please note: Non-commercial use only.

Tim. @TimArnot

macca22au

Tim:  thank you for this, but I have looked into the TASoftware folder, and I can find no file that allows me to modify the various paths.  The only one that may do, the INSTALLetc, needs a special download to read.  At the moment I can only find payware, which I will buy if necessary.  But I would need assurance that it is this file that has to be modified.

I would be most grateful for your assistance.

tim arnot

Run Plan-G and go to SETTINGS. That's where you se the paths.

Tim. @TimArnot

nine-lives@comcast.net

Hello,

If I Run Plan-G I do not get SETTINGS, I get  "Repair Plan-G"  or "Remove Plan-G".

How do I get to "SETTINGS"

Larry

petehowell57

Hi Tim

I have the same problem. I can't find a "settings" tab/folder etc.  I can change the position of FSX/P3D in the "Locations " boxes under File-> Options, but it won't connect up to P3d.  If I change them back to point to FSX all is well.  Could this be a simconnect issue ?  I really want to give P3D a go and don't want to lose Plan-G, so any suggestions would be gratefully received.     FSX/P3D is on my desktop and Plan-G is on my laptop.  Appropriate drives have been mapped, and folders shared.  As I said FSX works beautifully

Many thanks in anticipation

Pete

tim arnot

Sorry my fault: OPTIONS is correct (the words are interchangeable, and if you're not in front of a PC...)

Unless your P3D setup is RADICALLY different to your FSX setup, there is little point in rebuilding the Plan-G database for it, as it will be IDENTICAL.

Connecting to a running P3D is simply a matter of specifying SIMCONNECT in the FS Connections box before you connect. You do have to set up the Simconnect config for P3D, but the procedure is identical to that for FSX, and is documented in the manual.

NOTE: THE FILE LOCATIONS FOR BUILDING A DATABASE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CONNECTING TO A RUNNING SIM. AND VICE VERSA.

Tim. @TimArnot

petehowell57

Hi Tim

Thanks for the prompt reply.  My mistake is not setting up simconnect in P3D I think.  Will get my head round this eventually lol.

Pete

petehowell57

Hi.  Yes it was simconnect.  Now working fine.

Many thanks

Pete

Thomas321

Hello,

QuoteConnect to P3D via SimConnect.

only simconnect? FSUIPC connecting no more possible?

Thank you,
Kind Regards,
Thomas

tim arnot

It wasn't when that post was written. But it may be different now. Perhaps someone that uses P3D will know?

Tim. @TimArnot

Emile

Hello,
FYI I have installed P3D 1.4 and PG V3 B48.
No problems

Now I will install PG V2 with P3D 1.4 and report
Emile EBBR Asus P7P67 Pro v3, Intel 1155 3.4 GH, Cordair DDR3 8Gb,PCX Nvidia 950 ti,PCX Nvidia 1150 ti,
SSD 120Gb, 2 x 1 Tera SATA6, Dual Boot .

rogerover

Quote from: Emile on August 27, 2012, 03:51:25 PM
Hello,
FYI I have installed P3D 1.4 and PG V3 B48.
No problems

Lucky guy you are !

I have installed P3D 1.4.4747.0 and Plan-G 3.0.1.49.

I'm also using the FSX to P3D migration tool (http://www.flightsim.ee/products/fsx-to-prepar3d-migration-tool) that creates a virtual FSX installation  pointing to the P3D installation (extremely useful !!!)

The Lockheed Martin folder is of course shared on my local network.

I've tried to change the paths pointing to FSX fsx.exe and FSX scenery.exe (as indicated above by Tim) in Plan-G Options/Locations on my remote PC connected to FSX via Simconnect but no success : Plan-G crashes to desktop everytime !!

May I suggest to add a new field in Options/locations dedicated to Prepar3D ?

Thanks for considering

vgbaron

I have P3D and PG3 set up with no problems. I had them originally on the same system and then decided to use a second system for PG3 and network it. had no problems at all.

Possibly permissions? Did you install as Administrator?
P3D#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - 2-GTX1070 SLI 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
P3D#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX680 DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+

rogerover

[...] To build a P3D database you need a 'dead file' copy of fsx.exe in your main P3D folder (this can be any file at all, since it never needs to run, but it must be named fsx.exe)....

Connect to P3D via SimConnect.

I understand the fsx.exe "dead" file must be in the P3D folder for those who want to build a database despite it's the same as FSX.

Is it also to establish connection via Simconnect ?

tim arnot

No, it'll just connect to whatever's on the other end of the Simconnect channel. It doesn't really care what it is, as long as it "talks the talk"

Tim. @TimArnot