Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Right...

Started by pontiusthepilot, August 24, 2016, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pontiusthepilot

... so it's decided.

It's to be Plan-G.

I live in England, where I tend to fly a flock of old warbirds and might attempt a little aerobatics. I stray into Wales occasionally where I do much the same thing.

But my other haunts are Scotland, Western North America (NorCal to Alaska), Austria, Italy and the Balkans. In other words I also like a bit of mountain flying. This became problematic when MapQuest pulled the plug because Open Streetmap has no indication of relief. As a result, I was left having to compare SkyVector, Google Maps and OSM to try to pick out mountain passes that could be represented on OSM using user waypoints. As you can imagine, it was taking hours to complete a flight plan.

So I began to look for alternatives.

Well, there aint much choice. EFASS was the only contender. So I gave it a go. And another go. And another... Until this morning I nearly lost my temper with it.

But then I found that there is relief data on Open Cycle Maps! My bacon has been saved!

So from now on I'll be planning flights using Plan-G and Open Cycle Maps, along with SkyVector to get a little more detail on ground elevations.

So having erred and strayed in the wilderness for a few weeks, I've come back to Plan-G, as far as I can see, for good.

Regards.

Pontius.

Slipperfeet

I don't understand why Open Streetmap is not available any more? If anyone can enlighten me please do so.

Regards,

Slipperfeet.

tim arnot

It's a cascading failure. One guy decides to shut down map access, so everyone switches to the next map provider, who can't handle the load . . .

Tim. @TimArnot