*LINK* FLY BETTER: The Art of Aerial Navigation

Started by tim arnot, October 01, 2009, 12:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim arnot

There are many books and courses about the theory of navigation, but very few about how to apply practical techniques in the aeroplane cockpit to enable an aviator to actually navigate from one place to another with ease.

This free book has been written to introduce to students of pilot navigation, the simple techniques which will enable them to navigate anywhere over land in visual meteorological conditions (VMC) using only a map, a pencil, and a brain.

(pdf, 1.3MB) http://www.flybetter.com.au/id3.html

Also available: Aerodynamics and other Stuff. http://www.flybetter.com.au/id2.html

'Fly Better' is a series of four books about how aeroplanes fly and how best to fly them. They are the teachings of Noel Kruse, the creator and former Chief Flying Instructor of the 'Sydney Aerobatic School', a unique and widely known advanced flying school, which for 22 years was based in Sydney Australia. The books are available from this website as a free download, and are intended for people who are planning to learn to fly and for Student and Private Pilots who feel the have not been taught about the subject in a way that enables them to really understand it. They will also be useful to junior Flight Instructors to better equip them to teach others how to fly properly.

The books are not just a collection of theory lessons or flying technique lectures, each chapter contains Noel's philosophy of flying, which is based upon his personal experiences and adventures over almost 50 years and 17,000 hours in the air, 12,000 of which were engaged in teaching others how to 'fly better'.

Tim. @TimArnot

jschall

Nice find!

Thank you, Tim.

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
FSX SP2, Windows 7, AMD FX-62, Nvidia GTX550ti

Bert Foster

I agree. Brilliant set of books, so easy to read and understand. ;)

Peter Dodds

Looks like a necessary link for the Cix VFR Club website.  Will you tell Tony or shall I, Tim.

Peter

fsafranek

Just registered and browsing about.  Thanks for the links above to the references.

dprod

Wow, this is great!   I learned about you on another website, and being I fly for a "BUSH" flying VA.  I knew this could be very helpful in my navigating in the wild.

Thank you so much for a great instructional book.  Very well done. :)

dprod

illustrateu

I'm a VFR flier, like to see the sights, that's what brought me to this sight to start with. Now I have the added bonus of a good book from a good author. Thanks for the share, hope I can return the favor.
I fly FS9, FSX, and XPlane, and find things in each that I enjoy. Build my own systems, and am getting ready to do one that will let me get the most out of FSX and XPlane.

Bert Foster

I see there is a new Fly Better book on their website entitled "Aeroplane Handling Techniques"....should be worth a read.

mickrick

I also am a virtual pilot and found this book excelent Most of my younger life I have used Map and Compas to get around the mountains of the UK Using my legs for power But with this book I managed to corrilate My legs to an aircraft.
Thank you
Likes FSX Dogs and Fly Fishing RC Controled Aircraft and any thing to do with Aircraft

Bert Foster

I see that the Fly Better series of books have just been upgraded with the second editions of Book One and Two being released yesterday. Well worth the download since they are still free!

tim arnot

Thanks for the update Bert; I rwally cannot recommend these books highly enough.  8)

Tim. @TimArnot

JoaoPL

Hi,
There are 4 books in total. Just replace the endings...
...id1...
...id2...
...id3....
...id4...
Cheers
Joao