MSFS and I've lost all my friendly airport names

Started by picnic, October 31, 2022, 09:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picnic

Just built my MSFS database and now all airport names are of the same format

TT:AIRPORTSZ.UKKK.name

The only bit that changes between each one is the ICAO code, e.g. UKKK -> UKKM for instance.

I am running the 40th Anniversary Beta v1.29.25.0

Windows 10, 32GB. Any idea what's gone wrong?

frankturley

I wouldn't trust airport names to MSFS. I complained about duplicate names (e.g. Khorixas Airport) and was told they sourced the data externally, it wasn't their fault there were errors in the data. Good Luck!

picnic

But I don't have any Khorixas Airports, mine for example is "TT:AIRPORTSZ.KYKX.name"

tim arnot

Probably a memory issue while building the database - that code is prone to memory issues with MSFS (it's getting an overhaul). Try restarting your PC then build the database as the first thing you do in Plan-G.

Tim. @TimArnot

picnic

Sadly that didn't work and I'm wondering if the problem is the 2020 beta. I've tried a competing product and that also failed to display friendly names!

tim arnot

Hmm. Maybe. I'm not in the current beta, so I can't test that.

Here's a link to fairly recent database that should keep you going: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e75e7tcp71fzpr4/Plan-G_NavDataMSFS.zip?dl=0

Tim. @TimArnot

picnic

Thanks Tim. Is there anything in a log PlanG makes that might be helpful to you?

tim arnot

If you do a database build and send me the log from that, it might show something. I suspect it'll show that it can't find the locPak file. Actually, if you do a search for the locPak on your PC, that'll be helpful. Also, in build 262, you can specify the locPak in Settings - it was intended for support of non-English languages, but you could use it to tell Plan-G where the English file has moved to. It's worth a try...

Tim. @TimArnot

picnic

Clever boy Tim :)

Old log snippet

20:10:54.7 LocPak in D:\msfs2020_pf\Official\OneStore\fs-base\en-US.locPak
20:10:55.1 Generating new Names Lookup database.
20:10:57.5 0 names found. Patching...

That file is still present. There are lots of these files but I found one in fs-base-genericairports. New log snippet

10:09:55.6 LocPak in D:\msfs2020_pf\Official\OneStore\fs-base-genericairports\en-US.locPak
10:09:55.8 Generating new Names Lookup database.
10:10:01.6 128996 names found. Patching...

I have my friendly names back :)

Thanks Tim

tim arnot

Aha!
It looks like they've split the data into multiple files. Thanks Pete.

We still need the old file for aircraft names though, so I suspect that by changing your locPac setting, you've lost the aircraftnames database. You may still have a backup though, if you didn't rebuild more than once.

Tim. @TimArnot

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot

frankturley

I guess like zillions of others I had to update MSFS2020 yesterday, and on compiling the new database I hit this bug. Thanks Picnic for the solution as above.

tim arnot

There's a Plan-G update currently in testing, that addresses this issue as well as adding support for X-Plane 12. Should be available in a few days. :)

Meanwhile Picnic's workaround does the job.

Tim. @TimArnot