News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Old Favourite - connect Plan-G with FSX across a network

Started by mikegogs, October 26, 2010, 06:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikegogs

I´ve run out of ideas, so I´m taking a break before beating my brains out again later.  My problem is simple - I can´t connect Plan-G to FSX across my network, although FSInn does connect to FSX across the same two PC s. Not only that but both FSInn and Plan-G connect to FS9 (via FSUIPC/WideFS, I think), again on the same two machines.  Furthermore, Plan-G happily loads flight plans for both FS9 and FSX from the FS machine.

The Plan-G logfile records this for an attempted connection to FSX:

RibbonButton_Click_ConnectFS
17:48:09 SimConnect.Connect
17:48:09 SimConnect.Connect - Remote. Mode = IPv4 Server = 192.168.2.2 Port = 4506
17:48:29 SimConnect remote connection timed out

It seems that there´s no problem on the network side of things, nor with the Plan-G settings, so that leaves only FSX, as I see it.  (FSXSP2, by the way) I did create a SimConnect.xml file, as per the manual, and as short as possible, and I can´t see any errors in this. It has exactly the same settings as Plan-G.

I don´t think it´s relevant, as the machines are clearly happily talking to each other, but the FS machine is on XP and the Plan-G on Vista (UAC disarmed). 

It would be wonderful if someone could suggest the silver bullet to sort this, or at least some areas to look at, otherwise it´s back to the drawing board   :(

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot

mikegogs

Hiya, Tim - here you are:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
<Descr>SimConnect Server Configuration</Descr>
<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
  <SimConnect.Comm>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
    <Scope>global</Scope>
    <Address>192.168.2.2</Address>
    <MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
    <Port>4506</Port>
    <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
    <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagel>
  </SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>

tim arnot

Well, the settings match. Do you have an antivirus or firewall that might be blocking it?

Tim. @TimArnot

mikegogs

I don't believe so - under normal running I'd expect to get a message if anything was being blocked and AFAIK everything that should be an exception is listed.  But, just in case, I disabled all firewall stuff, but had the same result.

One thing - Plan-G seems to be connected to something although it times out trying to connect to FSX.  The Connect button is greyed out, with only Disconnect being offered.  Might that be significant?

tim arnot

That generally means it passes muster at high level, and it's somewhere down in the bilges where it gets messed up.

I suppose you've double checked the IP address - these sometimes get reassigned by the router.

Tim. @TimArnot

mikegogs

Lol, I can now type ipconfig variations blindfold! No, I'm afraid it's not that.

tim arnot

And you've got the simconnect.XML in the right place and on the right machine... ( ie the same place as fsx.cfg on the fs pc)

Tim. @TimArnot

mikegogs

Yup - just checked yet again!  You know what it's like - I knew it was there, but had to go and look anyway.

tim arnot

Well, fundamentally, there are only two possible problems: Either the numbers are wrong, or it's being blocked. If other programs are working, you can discount hardware from being the issue.

Tim. @TimArnot

mikegogs

Quite so.  I'll keep nibbling at it and let you know if I find the culprit.  Thanks Tim.

larrytmo

I had a similar problem but have resolved it.  I have FSX on Vista and Plan G on an older Win XP.  My XML file was exactly as yours using IPv4.  My router would not let it connect.  I then changed the address from the 192.168.2.2 to the name of my Computer, "Larry-PC"  and then it connected just fine.  The router did not like the address but had no problem with the computer name.  Hope it works for you.

Larry

Hunt

Quote from: larrytmo on October 31, 2010, 04:11:12 PM
I had a similar problem but have resolved it.  I have FSX on Vista and Plan G on an older Win XP.  My XML file was exactly as yours using IPv4.  My router would not let it connect.  I then changed the address from the 192.168.2.2 to the name of my Computer, "Larry-PC"  and then it connected just fine.  The router did not like the address but had no problem with the computer name.  Hope it works for you.

Larry

Thank you very much for that information :)
I had spent hours trying to get network running and changing to a name worked first time!

rogerover

Yes, changing to the network name instead of IP address in the Simconnect.xml file works better most of the time...

In case it does not (it happens from time to time whithout any apparent reason...) I suggest to change the port number. Both 4505 and 4506 are OK for me

Happy new year to all !

rogerover

Hi,

1) would it be possible in the upcoming Plan-G versions to specify a port number range (4500 to 4510 for example) instead of a single port number

- into the Simconnect.xml file ?
- and into the server Port/Pipe field (FS connection parameters) ?

2) is there a way to refresh the Plan-G map on request ? It happens from time to time that a single square stays "blank" for a long time

Thanks