News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Intermittent connections across computers

Started by Renaissance_man, November 19, 2010, 06:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renaissance_man

Great software!

I experience intermittent connections and am wondering if there is an order of steps that needs to be taken when starting the machines for a new flight.

One machine runs W7 and has FSX and the other has Vista and runs Plan-G. They are networked through a D-Link hub. My setting seems correct since I can establish a connection. My problem is when I re-start after shutting the machines.

My FSX machine is put on a sleep mode while the Plan-G machine is completely shut down. Also is there a need to reload a flight plane in FSX when using Plan-G? Can that have a cause on the lost of connection between the two software?

Many thanks!
Mario Bergeron
X-Plane 11.11
Plan-G 3.2.0.144
Windows 10
i7-3700K @ 3.50GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070Ti

tim arnot

Are you shutting FSX down between sessions, or is that just being put to sleep too?

Does the DLink hub also act as a DHCP server? ie, does it issue your PCs IP addresses?

Tim. @TimArnot

Renaissance_man

Yes, FSX is shut down between sessions. I think my ISP (Shaw Cable) is providing my PCs addresses. I am not familiar with the subject so I am quoting the following from this link:http://www.skywaywest.com/about/compare-to-telus-adsl-and-shaw-cable.htm#ShawDHCP

How Shaw DHCP IP Addresses are assigned

* firewall/server/workstation settings are set to DHCP instead of manual entry
    * When the cable modem first boots up, Shaw's server instructs it to accept a maximum number of MAC addresses specific to the account type. The modem automatically accepts MAC addresses until it reaches that limit, then refuse to accept further.
    * firewall/server/workstation obtains IP address from DHCP server every time the firewall/server/workstation boots up
    * DHCP assigned IP address is leased for a limited period of time
    * before the lease expires, firewall/server/workstation requests another address from the DHCP server
    * DHCP server decides whether to reissue the same address or issue a new address
    * traffic from the Internet routed directly to router or firewall/server/workstation

Thanks Tim for a prompt response.
Mario Bergeron
X-Plane 11.11
Plan-G 3.2.0.144
Windows 10
i7-3700K @ 3.50GHz

tim arnot

Ok, you need to make syre the router issues the same address to the FS PC every time it starts. This is important, otherwise you will have to reconfigure the connection settings every time it changes. There should be a setting in the router's configuration screen that allows you to reserve addresses. If your ISP is assigning your internal network addresses (most unusual, and not something I've ever come across before), you might need to ask them how to reserve the network address.

Tim. @TimArnot

Renaissance_man

Tim,

This is my IP address 192.168.0.254 as shown on my D-Link device page. It is the same as the one displayed on the ipconfig command. My Link-local IPv6 address is correct and my settings in SimConnect are also corrects. I have rebooted both machines and got in Plan-G immediately. I then shut down Plan-G and FSX and restarted them again (with FSX first). After multiple Connect/Disconnect I finally got back in.

I will keep an eye on my IP address, but I believe it doesn't change. In any case, I use the IPv6 connection and I know for sure that the address is the same. Could this be a port issue?

If SimConnect is difficult to troubleshoot, should I go with FSPUIC? I use SimConnect because of your recommendation. When it works, it is stable.

Thank you for your time.
Mario Bergeron
X-Plane 11.11
Plan-G 3.2.0.144
Windows 10
i7-3700K @ 3.50GHz

tim arnot

If you're using IP6, you need to check the link-local address is the same between sessions. Also try IP4.

You could try a different port number -- try something in the 9000+ range. It's possible that something is blocking it - antivirus, firewall etc. You can try FSUIPC (don't forget you need WideFS to use it on a network), but my gut feeleing is it's a general networking problem, and that may well affect FSUIPC too.

Tim. @TimArnot

Renaissance_man

Thanks Tim,

I have tried IP4 with the same results. I flew a few times during the weekend and was able to connect by disconnecting and re-connecting rapidly. I will experiment and will keep you posted on anything that might be informative.
Mario Bergeron
X-Plane 11.11
Plan-G 3.2.0.144
Windows 10
i7-3700K @ 3.50GHz