News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

FSX database problem

Started by Yorkshire, November 25, 2010, 06:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yorkshire

Hi

Have just installed ver 2. When I click to create the FSX database, it begins then after about 6 seconds it says processing 180 airports then the database window shuts itself down. When I go to the map none of the VOR's show - though my NDB's show (Leeds Bradford area UK). The strange thing is that the FS9 database worked perfectly. Having no problems running fsx at the moment so not sure where the problem lies. Have tried to build database several times but it always hangs or kicks out. Super program so would like to get it working with FS9 & FSX. Grateful for any ideas!

Windows XP SP3 2.16Ghz Intel dual 4Gig RAM

Regards

Yorkshire

Lucevan

Hi

Same here I've got the UK airports but not the rest of the world.

I've got UK2000 VFR airports if that makes a difference.

Been using the previous version with no problems.

Cheers

Yorkshire

Hi

Thanks, further to my previous post - have just installed onto my laptop (Windows7 64bit). same problem - FS9 database creates fine, FSX - no VOR's or boundaries - so there must be an issue with the program - sad really because the previous version worked fine - I wonder what got messed up!!!

Regards

Yorkshire

GAJ52

Just a quick question, have you got Plan-G pointing to the FSX Scenery.cfg in the Options - Locations menu. ?

If your still having problems find the Plan_G Log file in the main program folder and attach it to your post, it will give Tim a chance to advise you of a likely error.
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit / i7-3770K @ 4.40 Ghz / 8 GB Ram / Nvidia GTX 680 2 GB / FSX

BASys

Hi Folks

As these are apparently "package-only" versions,
it sounds like you've installed those packages without running as admin.

Hence you're seeing a partial version scenery.cfg
stored in your own profile,
rather than FSX's active scenery.cfg, (from All Users profile).

In FSX
it is mandatory that all scenery addons are installed from an admin account.

Just in case -

FSX's active scenery.cfg
is located in the "All Users" profile.

e.g. for XP -
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\

Do not use the one in -
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
as it's Microsoft's emergency version for repairs only !
It should contain no addon entries whatsoever.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Lucevan

I think you're right about problems with the location.

I'm using vista so I think the scenery.cfg is in

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Which is what I enter in File\Options\locations, but in the drop down box under 'Build Database' it seems to default to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

(Sometimes vista is a pain) In the meantime I will continue to check.

BASys

Hi Folks

Lucevan -
Owner == Your profile, (or manufacturer's default profile name)

The "All Users" profile should exist on Vista.

Try running as admin.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Marco Metzgen

Hi,

Having the same problem here.  I have followed the recommendations above but without luck.  I tried to run the setup file as Administrator but did not give me the option to do so; instead I turned UAC off, re-booted and then ran the setup.  I have also pointed the "fsx active scenery cfg" to the right location but still, it will only load 162 local airfields and no boundaries as well as missing VORs (Brixham).  No problems at all with version 0.9.1.xxx.

Yorkshire

Hi guys

Thanks for the suggestions - I must confess I had forgotten about the options - locations! Have just set it up and the fsx database is working - boundaries and VOR's are shown. I expect tomorrow morning when I do the same on my laptop with windows 7 - I will have the same success. Many thanks for the pushing me in the right direction.

Regards

Yorkshire

Marco Metzgen

Could you please forward the path for the fsx active scenery. Vista64/SP2

Thank you.

RabbiT_CZ

In Vista and W7 is the path:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG

It also written in Plan-G manual.

Marco Metzgen

Hi,

I have un-installed and the re-installed PG v2.0 application.  The following situations are present:

1. The shortcut automatically created cannot be selected to run as Admin.  Instead I created a shortcut on the desktop from the .exe file.  This one is now selected to run as Admin.
2. I have pointed PG to the right file, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG
3. Ran the fsx database building, but instead of choosing the directory a set it defaulted to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X
4. The result is that the database is the local, incomplete and limited.

I had nothing but paise for this application but it seems that there are a few wrinkles to iron on version 2.0.  I have now un-installed it and re-installed v0.9.1.xxx.  It works like a charm.  I'll wait a while  :'(

Marco Metzgen

Tim,

I hope this info is of any help.  Thank you.

Marco
SWFSG, Ipplepen

tim arnot

Where is your FSX located? Plan-G *is* picking up the correct location for the cfg file, but it's possible your FS is located somewhere else?

Also, did you install for all users, or yourself only. What about FSX?

Tim. @TimArnot

elav

Hi all,

I had a problem with the FS9 database, which couldn't be built because the builder hung in the middle of scenery\EURW. The culprit has been found, however, and this might be important for Dutch users:
NL2000v3 (the Dutch photoscenery for FS9) produces a modified AP949130.bgl that causes databasebuilders to hang. If I remember correctly, there also were problems with FSNavigator and more.
The solution:  Put this file in a Temp folder, replace it with the original from the CAB file on your CD (nr.3) and go ahead to make your FS9 database. After that you can replace the original again, but it might be prudent to keep your original available as well....Oh, and there are no problems with NL2000v4 for FSX.

And now let's go and use V2, because it certainly is what we wanted!
Thanks Tim,

Elav