News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Performance Issues

Started by VinceN, November 28, 2010, 07:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VinceN

Good Afternoon,

First off I just wanted to say this does seem to be a fantastic program and might replace a good number of separate tools I use while flight siming.  There's a fair amount of buzz about it at the VA I fly for.

However I am having massive performance issues with this program.  Once I zoom in and checking stuff around the program randomly locks up and I start constantly getting IE pop up about a script on the page causing the program to run slowly and might cause the computer to become non responsive.  I usually have to force quit the program at this point because the UI locks up.

My computer isn't the fastest thing in the world but I've never had issues like this with a program before.   Any idea on what I can check or tweak to fix it?

Joe M

Hi Vince,

Quote from: VinceN on November 28, 2010, 07:15:36 PM
However I am having massive performance issues with this program.  Once I zoom in and checking stuff around the program randomly locks up and I start constantly getting IE pop up about a script on the page causing the program to run slowly and might cause the computer to become non responsive.  I usually have to force quit the program at this point because the UI locks up.

Check the FAQ http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=78.0 for an answer to this problem. It's the last item in the list.

Joe

VinceN

Joe,

Thanks for the tip and that does help a little but the script error is a symptom of the problem and not the problem itself.  As you mentioned it takes a long time for it to display all this info and for it to do that the first time it loads the data is understandable (FSNAV and the like do the same thing) but then anytime there is a change to the map, rezoom or you reposition the map, your then stuck waiting again while the whole thing redraws.

This can be alleviated by unchecking some options but I find sometimes I have to do with much less information than I am used too to make the map usable.

I'm sure this is a limitation of the google API itself I wonder if there is some way the data can be cached so it does not have to be redrawn every time the view changes?

Joe M

The one item that seems to contribute to most of the "slowness" is the low-altitude airways. They do take a long time to display. Also, if you are using Plan-G with FS running, make sure you start Plan-G after FS is up and running. I also solved some slow down by forcing FS to use the only 2nd core of my processor . You do that with Task Manager -->Processes, right click on the FS executable, choose Affinity and uncheck "CPU 0". Try those tips and see if it helps.

Joe