News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Problem With Version 2.0 Data Base Building for FSX

Started by zapilot, November 29, 2010, 07:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapilot

Hello There...
Firstly...brilliant programme, so thank you Tim and your team. To cut a long story short. Had the previous version to the new Version 2.0 just published. it worked for a while then I started to experience problems. Did a re-load and a new DL. No joy. So basically, had to do with out  :(

I was happy to see the new version. Just done a DL, no problems. Great thought I. Then went to build the data-base and got the attached message. Not sure what  it means...but it's worrying :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a valuable tool to have and I'm missing it greatly.
Best Wishes
ZA

tim arnot

Plan-G is being blocked from running its scripts, probably by a firewall or antivirus program. It could also be that you have scripting disabled in Internet Explorer. You need to set these things to allow Plan-G access.

Tim. @TimArnot

lfishe

I deleted the Plan G simconnect script from the simconnect.xml and set the network computer Plan G connection setting to the rex simconnect script and it works.

Thanks,
Lynn

zapilot

Hello Again
Thank you both for your very quick responses. I will have a look at trying your suggestions. Bit concerned 'bout finding "scripting" I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to 'puters  :-[ But will give it a 'whirl.' Will let you know the results.
Best Wishes
ZA

zapilot

Quote from: tim arnot on November 29, 2010, 07:53:40 PM
Plan-G is being blocked from running its scripts, probably by a firewall or antivirus program. It could also be that you have scripting disabled in Internet Explorer. You need to set these things to allow Plan-G access.

Hi Tim...
Sorry to be a pain, but I'm really struggling with this. I'm currently using Mozilla Firefox and not Internet Explorer at present. Not really sure where to find the 'Scripting.' I'm also a little concerned re: Firewalls/Anti virus settings too.  Don't want to open a 'Pandora's Box' (Not worried 'bout your programme BTW  :) ) just in general.
Thanks
ZA

Trevster

Try this:

- Close the program down
- Open C:/Program Files/TA Software/Plan-G directory
- Right click on PlanG.exe file and select Properties
- Click on Compatibility tab and select 'Show settings for all users' button
- At the bottom, you should have an  option 'Run this program as an administrator' - check this and click OK twice

Now re-launch the program and try building the database

Tim: Could an 'advice' popup be added to the install procedure along with a default file path of above the Program Files directory to bypass UAC on Vista/Win7?

tim arnot

That advice is in the readme and also the download/install instructions. But I'll look at adding an extra screen to the setup too.

Tim. @TimArnot

Trevster

Yeah, unfortunately from my experience of working in software support, a very large percentage of people don't read it...  :(

zapilot

Hello Trevster
Thank you for your suggestion and help. Followed your instructions but unfortunately, when clicking on 'compatibility' the prompt 'Show settings for all users' didn't appear. Please see attached 'screenie.' I got some options but not the one required.  Pretty certain that I looked in the right place. So not sure what the next step might be.

I did read the install instruction too. If it's any help, I'm running Windows XP. I also looked at the 'Summary' page. This had headings but no content. Is that correct? Sorry to be a pain re: this. Again, thanks for your time.
Thanks
ZA

tim arnot

That looks like XP. Run As Administrator only applies to Vista & W7 users.

What you will need to do is temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus, to see which of them is blocking Plan-G. Once this is known, you can configure them to allow Plan-G access to its scripts.

Tim. @TimArnot

zapilot

Hello Again.. :-[
Thanks Tim...Will give it a go. Will be a little later today though. Will let you know the results. BTW..is this common or just me and my 'puter?  :(
Thanks
ZA

zapilot

HI Again..
OK, Managed to get Plan-G in the 'Exceptions' for Firewalls. Did a repair too. Started to 'populate the database. It ran for a while, I thought all was OK, then got the familiar problem back.  I've attached some of the messages I got.

The first one comes up when I click to load Plan - G asking me if I want a 'newer version.' This is Version 2.0 I'm using. The 2nd 'Screenie is the one where I thought I'd managed to 'populate' the programme.  It nearly ran. It's worth noting that this was the message "Plan-G has encountered a problem...." I also got this with the previous version. So not clear what's causing this particular problem. There is also a section of the 'text' from the 'Error Report' Maybe that might help.

The other pdf. Shows that I've got it in the 'Exceptions' list. I'm thinking of deleting/uninstalling this and starting again as it's getting very time consuming for all..or is that too drastic?
Sorry for the time this is taking. But really want this programme.
Best Wishes
ZA

tim arnot

It's telling you there's a newer version... because there *is* a newer version: 2.0.1  :)

The error is the same blocked script problem, which suggests either the exclusion didn't work, or there's something else blocking it. Do you have a separate firewall? It could still be your Internet Explorer script settings (I know you said you use Firefox, but Plan-G uses IE, so it still need you to go into IE and check the settings)

Tim. @TimArnot

tim arnot

Could you also check what version of Internet Explorer you have installed -- maybe it is too old...

Tim. @TimArnot

zapilot

HI Tim...
Thanks again for the response..Oops! Didn't realise there was another newer version  :) Too wrapped up in this one..! ;)

I've got an awful feeling we/you may have got to the route of the problem here. I do use Firefox, the main reason being that sometime ago we got a very bad virus here (hence my paranoia re: Firewalls) that caused major damage to some of the files in Internet Explorer amongst other things. The result of this is (as I understand it) that IE has been sidelined, meaning we don't use it...or at least all of it.  We're planning a new PC in the next few weeks, with IE obviously. So...

"It could still be your Internet Explorer script settings (I know you said you use Firefox, but Plan-G uses IE, so it still need you to go into IE and check the settings)"

So...basically, It looks that this will have to be on hold. Hadn't realised that IE would have an effect. My apologies for the time you've spent on this. Your support has been both prompt and very helpful. Once we do get set up in full again. We'll definitely use this brilliant programme.
Best Wishes
ZA