News:

Main Menu

Summary of problems found in v2

Started by cemil, November 29, 2010, 10:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cemil

Today I installed v2 (was using v0.9) and have the following:

RECOMMENDATIONS & COMMENTS

- On the Expander section on the right I liked (personal) more the previous version where every extender section was divided with a thin line if I remember correctly.
- The Flight Plan expander from v0.9 was more lively (black on white) whereas the new one looks very
   sad and more difficult on the eyes (black on grey). Perhaps this could be "themed".

PROBLEMS
- Building the database started and after a few minutes finished without actually doing anything, not even
  showing an error message.
- Same as previous version where one can zoom/pan with the wheel on the map but if one then moves the
  mouse somewhere else and then focuses back on the map, the wheel no longer zooms/pan. One has to
  use the +/- control on the GMap and then I think the wheel starts working again.
- Importing waypoints does not work. I exported them from v0.9 and then when tried to import on v2
   it said the file was not in the correct format (!!!).
- The airport chart can be zoomed/panned but only from a fixed point set by the program so when zooming
   usually the part one wants to see disappears.
- If one connects to FSX and then FSX is terminated (normally) then Plan-G crashes.
- Some add-on airfields are skipped by the FSX database builder even when the scenery is ACTIVE.

OTHER
- Loved the airport chart feature
- FAntastic to have the approaches available!
- Wonderful to have Victor Airways! now waiting for Jet airways.

tim arnot

Quote from: cemil on November 29, 2010, 10:23:05 PM
- The Flight Plan expander from v0.9 was more lively (black on white) whereas the new one looks very
   sad and more difficult on the eyes (black on grey). Perhaps this could be "themed".

Options->General.

- Building the database started and after a few minutes finished without actually doing anything, not even
  showing an error message.
Please update to 2.0.1

Quote- Same as previous version where one can zoom/pan with the wheel on the map but if one then moves the
  mouse somewhere else and then focuses back on the map, the wheel no longer zooms/pan. One has to
  use the +/- control on the GMap and then I think the wheel starts working again.
Noted.

Quote- Importing waypoints does not work. I exported them from v0.9 and then when tried to import on v2
   it said the file was not in the correct format (!!!).
Ok. I'll investigate.

Quote- The airport chart can be zoomed/panned but only from a fixed point set by the program so when zooming
   usually the part one wants to see disappears.
Noted.

Quote- If one connects to FSX and then FSX is terminated (normally) then Plan-G crashes.
- Some add-on airfields are skipped by the FSX database builder even when the scenery is ACTIVE.

Can you supply more details and a log file that covers these. Thanks

Tim. @TimArnot

cemil

I don't think I have a log file :( but I can send you the actual add-on scenery (one I did) that shows up on FSX flight planner (and FSC) but not on Plan-G.

Regarding the themeing, I looked in Options General and noticed that when I selected any of the non-classic themes (BLue, etc.) it took me back to the main application window. When I selected "classic" (I guess this means v0.9 then it remained there (not taking me to the main app window like the other radio boxes). In any case there was no change in the look of the application that I could perceive what it did was to change the bg color of the expanders but the actual fg/bg colors of the table headers within the expanders (for example the various flight plan fields shown in the expander) all remained black on grey regardless of the theme.

I found the log! so I checked the message stored there about the failed import of user waypoints. One of my waypoints had commas in its description, this caused that during the export to CSV this record ended up with 11 fields instead of 9, thus causing the import to fail. I manually edited the CSV and import went well. In other words, during EXPORT TO CSV Plan G should check that there are no commas in the user data (for example description) and if so, escape them and treat them right during import.

I think Plan-G should require only admin permissions to rebuild the database and perhaps to create system wide (all users) user waypoints. Then every user on the machine can have its own UserWaypoints.sdf (not shared with other users) in the user's roaming profile. This way you can use Plan-G without requiring admin rights (something frowned upon). This software is just excellent and I would find it a bit disappointing if there was this design omission :'(

Anyway keep up the good work and let me know where I can send you the add-on scenery and user waypoint export (I miss them!).

tim arnot

Click on the envelope or speech bubble icons at the left of this message to send me mail.

Tim. @TimArnot

cemil

I updated to 2.0.1 and now the airfield that was skipped without error has appeared on my map. I don't know if it has skipped another one instead but I will see.

Regarding the import, I already mentioned what was the problem. Reproducing it is simple, simply add a comma within one of the fields such as Description.