News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Help - magnetic variation

Started by trisager, November 30, 2010, 09:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trisager

I've created the flightplan below by selecting CAU4 as the starting airport, creating Batnuni Airstrip as a user waypoint and adding it to the flight plan, then used the "Edit" button to create three VFR waypoints in between (wpt01, wpt02, wpt03):

Note that the flight plan is more or less a straight line on a true track of 186 degrees. There is no wind. I'm using the ORBX Pacific Fjords addon scenery.

If I mouse over CAU4, I can see that the magnetic variation is 24.0 degrees East. This is correctly subtracted to give me a magnetic track of 162 degrees to wpt01.

Mousing over wpt01, the magnetic variation here is 20.67 degrees East. However, in this case the magnetic deviation appears to be added rather than subtracted, giving an incorrect magnetic track of 207 degrees to wpt02. Something similar appears to happen at wpt02 (magvar is 20.59 degrees East) and wpt03 (magvar 20.51 degrees East).

I'm no expert, but it does look like the waypoints that are added using the "Edit" button and moved around using the little square do not handle magnetic variation correctly?

Tom

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot

f16jockey

Quote from: trisager on November 30, 2010, 09:49:26 AM
I'm no expert, but it does look like the waypoints that are added using the "Edit" button and moved around using the little square do not handle magnetic variation correctly?

Not an expert either, but I have the same problem.

First I have a straight line/curve between a VOR and an NDB (+/- 35° M).

When inserting a user waypoint wpt8 in edit mode, the magnetic bearings get messsed up.

Greetings,
Wim

tim arnot

Thanks. It'll be fixed in the next update.

Tim. @TimArnot