News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Approach Instruments...

Started by EchoTango, December 02, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EchoTango

Bonjour,

Are "instruments approach" ACTIVE or NOT ? like the legs of the flightplan.

I tried to active them manually, but doesn't work.

Thanks for reply
Jean

cemil

For what I have noticed you can add them to your Plan G flight plan with "Add approach to flight plan" but in reality, it does not, it just put it there for you to see but does NOT save it to your FSX flight plan (it gets saved as approach to the PlanG format but that is of no use when flying).

What you have to do is open the approach and manually add the approach waypoints to your flight plan, otherwise your flight plan will not take you to the airport but to the IAF.

EchoTango

Hello Cemil,

That's clear !  ;)

May be for the future version ?

Thanks

Have a nice evening
Jean

Skynet

You can activate the identical approach from the GPS within flight sim, but there's no way to save an approach within a PLN file and have it show up in the GPS *as an approach* (at least not that I've found. Mind you, I'm not an expert). If you just added the waypoints, I think you'd just get a straight line between them - no teardrops or procedure turns or DME arcs.  etc

About the only way to approximate the procedure would be to add lots of extra intermediate waypoints - dozens probably, to effectively draw out the curves by hand. But maybe that's what you're looking for? Perhaps Tim can comment.

tim arnot

It might be possible to program the FS GPS to set and activate the approach via Simconnect, or FSUIPC, but as Skynet says, I don't think it's possible to load an approach through the flight plan. It would be possible to add the approach waypoints along with infill points to "flesh out" the curves, but it wouldn't be an "approach" as such, just a flight plan that happens to go the same way.

Certainly, the original intention was that you'd set the approach mode on the GPS.

Tim. @TimArnot

cemil

I think it would be sufficient to just add the waypoints included in the approach just like a normal flight plan. Otherwise there is not much use for the approach (unless you run it on a 2nd monitor during flight) if your flight plan is left incomplete.

For now, I guess one has to just do the regular flight plan and use the Instrument Approach as a "nice to view". Since those waypoints are currently not added, you have to add them by hand.

tim arnot

Ok, I'll see what I can come up with.

Tim. @TimArnot