News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

[Resolved]Database build skips some airports

Started by cemil, December 04, 2010, 12:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cemil

Well I have it moved to C:\Applications\Flight Sim\Plan-G\  but it still skips some airport add-ons, sometimes this, sometimes that, not consistent in what it skips.

tim arnot

I've split this out into a separate topic, as I think it merits investigation.

Are these airports default or addon? Although you say it is sometimes different, are there common factors - eg, same scenery folder etc. Are there any errors in the log that could explain it? Any clues you can give would be helpful...

Tim. @TimArnot

cemil

I noticed it happens with add-on airports but not all add-ons, seems like at random. Yesterday for example I tried to get them showing by pointing to the c:\programdata\... folder and rebuilt FSX database but still got some of my add-ons missing (several).

Today I pointed it again to c:\programdata and rebuilt and voilá, my add-on airports where suddenly there this time. I haven't figured out why. They always show in FSC (Flight Sim Commander).

tim arnot

If you are rebuilding the database each time, please make a note of the airport count for comparison (you can find this in the log if you don't note it from the dialog). We need to discover first if it is not reading it frm the scenery file, or not writing it to the database.

Also, again, are these airports all in the dame folder? Is there just one airport in the addon or several? If several, do other airports appear? Names? Locations?

Tim. @TimArnot

SAPilot

I had a similar problem. Missing one airport which is not a defult FSX airport but an add-on airport.

Changed the location of the scenery config file to :

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

instead of

C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

Rebuilt the database and the airport now shows.

It would appear, in my case, that the scenery config file Plan-G needs is in the  \All Users\   path.

Hope it makes sense what I am trying to explain.

Best regards

BASys

Hi Folks

Quote from: SAPilot on December 06, 2010, 10:34:29 PMI had a similar problem. Missing one airport which is not a defult FSX airport but an add-on airport.

Changed the location of the scenery config file to :
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

instead of
C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

Rebuilt the database and the airport now shows.

It would appear, in my case, that the scenery config file Plan-G needs is in the  \All Users\   path.
SAPilot -
This is nothing whatsoever to do with Plan-G !     ;D

Please see the FSX readme file in your FSX root folder.

In FSX,
it is mandatory that all scenery is installed using -
- The All Users account, (i.e. for everyone, not just the current user).
- An account with admin permissions.

Actually applies to all addons, (scenery and aircraft).

Nothing should ever be installed to -
C:\Documents and Settings\myname\whatever     ;D

HTH
ATB
Paul

SAPilot

BASys

Did you know that there is a scenery.cfg file in
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX ? Go and have look.

By mistake I had that path [as above] configured in Plan-G -  and because of that , the wrong scenery.cfg was read during database build.

I was merely trying to explain what was the cause of my problem.

BASys

Hi Folks

SAPilot -
I'd understood you were trying to explain,
but I've obviously not replied clearly enough.     ;D

The only reason you have a scenery.cfg in your -
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\

Is because you
installed a scenery package
as being for - "Just Me"
rather than for - "Everyone".

If you look at that scenery.cfg
you'll find it contains only the -
- MS default entries, (duplicated from MS's repair copy of scenery.cfg, stashed in FSX root).
- Any scenery packages you'd installed as being for - "Just Me"

When I'd said -
QuoteNothing should ever be installed to -

What I was trying to say was -
QuoteNo user should ever install any FS-addon as being for - "Just Me"

Hope thats sufficiently clear now.      ;D

HTH
ATB
Paul

turbootter

Tim, I am having the same issue.  I am not sure if it is a Plan-G or ORBx issue.  After I installed the last update for PNW which included the seaplane bases, Plan-G is not seeing any of the Southern BC bases as well the SPB I had showing before, ie Victoria and Vancouver have disappeared.  I thought I would share this though when I am flying I won't panic if they are not in Plan-G, Water + Floats = good landing ;D
Tom B.

tim arnot

Can you upload the log for the database build where it skips airports?

Thanks

Tim. @TimArnot

SAPilot

Quote from: BASys on December 07, 2010, 08:49:08 PM
Hi Folks

SAPilot -
I'd understood you were trying to explain,
but I've obviously not replied clearly enough.     ;D

The only reason you have a scenery.cfg in your -
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\

Is because you
installed a scenery package
as being for - "Just Me"
rather than for - "Everyone".

If you look at that scenery.cfg
you'll find it contains only the -
- MS default entries, (duplicated from MS's repair copy of scenery.cfg, stashed in FSX root).
- Any scenery packages you'd installed as being for - "Just Me"

When I'd said -
QuoteNothing should ever be installed to -

What I was trying to say was -
QuoteNo user should ever install any FS-addon as being for - "Just Me"

Hope thats sufficiently clear now.      ;D

HTH
ATB
Paul

BASys

I think you've made your point by now, and is fully understood.
However, I still believe you did not understand what I was trying to say and not answered my question in my previous post. Sorry Tim - for the hi-jack.

Best regards

turbootter

Tim, I am attaching the log text from my last database build I made.  I am glad you can understand it ???
Tom B.

tim arnot

Set the location for your scenery.cfg file to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX, as per the 5th message down in this thread.

Tim. @TimArnot

turbootter

I did as per the 5th message down and it did not work for me.  Only the default airports are showing up.
Tom B.

turbootter

To add to my above message, I am running Win7 and my FSX config is located here: C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and not in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX as the suggestion of putting the FSX scenery config finder.
Tom B.