News:

Main Menu

Airport Database

Started by kenA, October 16, 2009, 11:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenA

Forgive me if this is already available.
Is there any way to load the FSX Airport database into Plan -G? Another planner has a database manager that allows you to rebuild their airport list from  FSX. 

Ken
Regards
Ken Alger

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/
3068 Mg Memory
1TB SataII 7200RMP HD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Dual Monitors
Windows 7

jschall

Yes!

When you FIRST RUN Plan-G, it asks you to build its database from the FSX location. Go to the Data tab and click on the Build FSX Database icon!

(User Manual Real Soon Now!)

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
FSX SP2, Windows 7, AMD FX-62, Nvidia GTX550ti

kenA

Quote from: jschall on October 17, 2009, 12:18:51 AM
Yes!

When you FIRST RUN Plan-G, it asks you to build its database from the FSX location. Go to the Data tab and click on the Build FSX Database icon!

(User Manual Real Soon Now!)

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec

Thanks jschall. Jeezz it pays to pay attention.

Regards
Ken Alger

3068 Mg Memory
1TB SataII 7200RMP HD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Dual Monitors
Windows 7

kenA

OK, I have one more question.
When Plan-G conducts it's search is it looking at all the BGL's in the Addon/scenery or just those in the FSX /scenery folder?

Regards
Ken Alger

3068 Mg Memory
1TB SataII 7200RMP HD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Dual Monitors
Windows 7

frankturley

Tim will know for sure, but I suspect it looks at the scenery.cfg file (which is made by FSX from the default scenery plus the scenery library settings), which means you get the lot.

A corollary is that if you change your scenery library settings you need to re-run the Plan-G routine.

Frank.

tim arnot

Yes it scans the scenery.cfg file to find whatever sceneries you have installed. It can scan both FSX and FS9, allowing you easily to switch between the data sets.

Tim. @TimArnot

Grunt

Quote from: tim arnot on October 17, 2009, 09:38:05 AM
Yes it scans the scenery.cfg file to find whatever sceneries you have installed. It can scan both FSX and FS9, allowing you easily to switch between the data sets.

I installed the 0.8.0 version tonight and ran the database setup for FSX.  I am running on one machine.  I have two airports in the Aleutians that I created with ADE9x but they did not show up.  I am running Windows 7 Pro so I went to the options screen and setup the FSX, FS9 locations and pointed Plan-G to the C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX directory where scenery.cfg is located.  I verified the add-on scenery areas are there in the file but the airports do not show up in the find list when I look for them.

So far this looks like a really nice program.

tim arnot

If you renamed your airport files to remove the "usual naming conventions" ("AP*, AF* ADE* etc), it will not find them. Plan-G only searches for the known airport file conventions, otherwise it would have to search through potentially hundreds of GBs of scenery for very very few airports that don't follow the conventions, and that could literally take hours.

Tim. @TimArnot

Grunt

Quote from: tim arnot on October 31, 2009, 09:25:07 AM
If you renamed your airport files to remove the "usual naming conventions" ("AP*, AF* ADE* etc), it will not find them. Plan-G only searches for the known airport file conventions, otherwise it would have to search through potentially hundreds of GBs of scenery for very very few airports that don't follow the conventions, and that could literally take hours.

That's the reason.  I called them by another name instead of the convention.  I'll rename one and try it again.

What I've seen and used so far is very nice.  I'll check it out on some flights hopefully today.

Thanks.

Grunt

I let ADE9X use it's naming convention and now they show up.  Thanks.

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot

Grunt

Quote from: tim arnot on October 31, 2009, 07:02:39 PM
;D

Amazing what happens when one follows standards <G>.  I assume this is a convention if not a full standard for MSFS.  I had created two airports that no longer exist and just gave them descriptive file names.

Grunt

What are the usual naming conventions out of curiosity. I use ADE9x and it names them

PAFG_ADE9_BIH.bgl

Per the manual for ADE9X I enter my initials in the general settings (or any thing I want) and it uses that as part of the airport.

tim arnot

from memory,

FS9 default airports start with AP*
FS9 addon airports start with AF2* (AFCAD) or contain *_ADE*

FSX default airports start with APX*
FSX addon airports start with AF3* or contain *_ADE* or contain *_AFX* or contain *APX* or end with *_RG

Tim. @TimArnot

Grunt

Quote from: tim arnot on November 01, 2009, 10:51:00 PM
from memory,

FS9 default airports start with AP*
FS9 addon airports start with AF2* (AFCAD) or contain *_ADE*

FSX default airports start with APX*
FSX addon airports start with AF3* or contain *_ADE* or contain *_AFX* or contain *APX* or end with *_RG

Thank you.  I'll let ADE9X name them from now on!