News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Plan G keeps crashing.

Started by THibben, December 17, 2010, 04:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THibben

I have FSX on my main computer with Win 7 Ultimate-64.  Plan G is on the second computer with WIN XP Proffesiopnal.

FSX is running on my second computer and connected to WideFS.  If I have just installed Plan G and added the Data files from Plan G on the main computer Plan G will run and connect to FSX.  If I shut down Plan G and then restart it will load.  As soon as I go to connect it crashes and closes.

If I uninstall Plan G then reinstall and install the data files again it will usually work once more.  I sure could use some suggestions.  I have attached the Log file.

Tom

tim arnot

Set the connection type to be explicitly FSUIPC. My guess is that one or both of your FSX installs is not SP2/Acceleration, and that is causing the Simconnect client to crash when set to Auto.

Tim. @TimArnot

THibben

My Main computer has FSX and it is SP2 with acceleration.  Plan G is on the network PC and there is no installationof FSX on it.

Will try to run using FSUIPC.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom

THibben

I have selected FSUIPC and the results are the same.  If I clear all settings, do a Map Reset and then reload my data the program will run connected to FSX.  As soon as I shut down Plan-G and restart, it crashes on connect.  It won't run until I go through the  above  process.

One thing I have noticed is it doesn't seem to matter what the FS connections are set at.  If I enter FSUIPC or SimConect, 192.168.1.1 or local host, port 4506 or 0, it will still run after the above reset process.

It just seems interesting I have to do this.

Tom

tim arnot

Can you please do the following:

1. Delete the log file.
2. Run Plan-G, set the connection to FSUIPC, then connect
3. Exit
4. Run Plan-G, Make sure the connection is still set to FSUIPC, then connect
5. Exit
6. Send me the log file.

Tim. @TimArnot

THibben

arno

Tom, I see in the first message that you have Windows 7.
Did you notice this message for install?

QuoteWindows 7 & Vista users
It is suggested that you run both the setup program and Plan-G itself "As Administrator". To do this, right-click the icon and select Run as Administrator from the menu. Alternatively select Preferences for the icon, go to the Compatibility tab and check Run As Administrator. This will be a permanent setting.

It is also advised that you choose an install location away from the Program Files folder structure. This is due to Windows file permissions issues that can prevent proper operation of the software

THibben

Arno,

Thanks for the info.  I have been running as administrator.  Plan G is installed on the XP computer.  I originally did not have it in the Program Files folder.  But recently re-installed it in the Program Files folder to see if it made a difference.

This is a wierd problem.  As I have indicated, I can get it to run if I go through the resets and then reinstall the data files.  Then If I exit the program and restart it crashes it crashes.

Tom

arno

Quote from: THibben on December 18, 2010, 03:32:47 PM
But recently re-installed it in the Program Files folder to see if it made a difference.

I understand :)

lvflyer

On XP try start run sfc /scannow and then launch Plan G after it completes.

THibben

I ran sfc /scannow then launched Plan-G.  It loaded then crashed immediately after selecting connect.

Thanks for the suggestion.  We will figure it out yet.

Tom

tim arnot

Turn off AI in the Options->Traffic panel, and see if that makes a difference...

Tim. @TimArnot

THibben

Tim,

I turned off traffic, (removed check from box), Went to connect and it crashed as before.  I went through Clear All Settings, Map Reset, and reinstalled the data files then connected normally.  I then shut down the program and restarted and as soon as I connected it crashed.

I can run it with these extra steps and am providing this info for you in case you want to trouble shoot.  It is a great program which I greatly appreciate.

Tom

THibben

Tim,

One additional comment is that when I connect, the yellow airplane comes up at the right airport and then the program crashes.

I just discovered something.  I have been waiting for the program to completely load before I would go to connect.  I just hurriedly went and connected while the program was still loading and it finished loading with out crashing.  I disconnected and connected immediately again and it worked okay.

That should be a clue to something.

Tom

tim arnot

Is the map positioned  so the aircraft will be on screen as soon as you connect, or does the map need to relocate to your aircraft?

I doubt it'll make a difference, but the NWS Weather download kicks in late, after the program has loaded. You could try turning that off. Other than that, it might be some strange interaction with the overlay drawing. You could try turning off overlays until the connection is made.

Tim. @TimArnot