News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

PlanG setup fails

Started by Christopher Bell, December 18, 2010, 12:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher Bell

After downloading build 481 from:

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1295.0

I ran setup.exe and got the error:

Compressed (zipped) Folders Error

Windows cannot complete the extraction.
The destination file could not be created.

I tried to extract the zipped file manually and it fails to extract the setup.msi file.
I repeated this on a second machine and had the exact problem.

Anyone else have this problem?

Regards,
Chris.

tim arnot

Sounds like you have downloaded the zip into a protected area on your computer. Move it to somewhere that isn't protected. (e.g. My Downloads, My Documents etc)

Tim. @TimArnot

Christopher Bell

Thank you for the swift reply Tim. I understand what you are saying, but UAC is off and my downloads do not go into the System volume, they go to D:\Incoming. I can say with confidence that it is not an issue with user rights. I can go into more details if you like, but for some reason my download failed. I do not know where.

One assumes that you can download the file from your web server yourself and extract all the files from the zipped file successfully. That being so, it is then my problem. I'll work on it further.

Thanks,
Chris.

tim arnot

Yup -- just tried it. It downloads, unzips and installs with no problem.

Tim. @TimArnot

tim arnot

Another thought: Right-click the Zip after you've downloaded it, and open the Properties dialog. At the bottom of the General tab, there is a button, "Unblock". Try clicking it to see if that makes a difference...

Tim. @TimArnot

Christopher Bell

Tried the 'Unblock', no change. I also tried downloading on a third machine, XP this time as opposed to win7 previous. Still no change. I'll keep trying.

Chris.

Christopher Bell

I have also tried to unzip the file using Winzip15.0. No luck there either.

Chris.

Christopher Bell

Problem resolved...

The thing is I did nothing. I tried a fresh download this morning and it worked. The only thing that changed was the passing of time. Lets put it down to one of life's little mysteries.

Thank you very much for you time and efforts Tim. (The cheque is in the mail.)

Regards,
Chris.