FSX on Win7, PlanG on WinXP, Cannot set up and access network drive to specify F

Started by CharlesHBOCB, December 31, 2010, 11:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlesHBOCB

Hi,
I am trying to connect PlanG to FSX on networked computers. FSX is in Win7. I have shared FSX folder on FSX computer. I have also connected a network drive on XP computer pointing to FSX folder on FSX computer and I get an access denied message when I declare the network drive in PlanG. I am new to Win7 and it is probably linked to access rules on the FSX win7 computer. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Charles

CharlesHBOCB

End of Title should be:
... access network drive to specify FSX location in PlanG settings
Charles

Skynet

Is FSX installed in the default location? If so, creating a share "F" is unlikely to work, since the paths as seen by the Plan-G computer have to exactly match the paths set out in the scenery.CRT. And that includes the drive letters.

In such circumstances it is much easier to install Plan-G on both computers, build the data locally and then copy it across.

CharlesHBOCB

Skynet,
Thank you very much for responding to my message. I am just trying to follow the manual section 8.5.1 b and I think that I am doing something wrong on the Win7 FSX computer as I can not share its files except public files. Just to try, I have generated a database with another version of FSX on my XP system, I have modified the SimConnect.xml file on the Win7 FSX computer as mentioned in the manual and here also I do not manage to connect to FSX on the Win7 computer.
If you have the necessary knowledge of win7, maybe you can help me; I am already trying many days :(.
Thank you for your help,
Charles

CharlesHBOCB

I have solved part of my problem; the cause was that by default winXP does not have Link Layer Discovery Topology and therefore the XP machine was not mapped correctly by the win7 system. Now the PlanG database has been generated through the network but I still have problems when connecting to FSX but I will open a new topic so consider this one closed and thanks for your help.
Charles