News:

Main Menu

QDM and Cross Reference

Started by Grunt, January 19, 2011, 12:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunt

Just downloaded the 2.02 version (haven't used it since 1.9) and it's very nice.  I'm not getting script errors all the time now. 

I'm wondering about a feature that might be available but I've just missed it.  What I would like to do is to be able to draw a line from a point (such as a navaid) getting the distance and bearing as in QDM.  However, I want to be able to leave that line on the map and then go to another point - say another navaid and do the same. Where the intersect is where I'll create a user waypoint.  Many instructions for flights that I get give waypoints in terms of where Navaid A x degrees for y miles intersects with a radial from navaid b.

I've looked at QDM and Cross reference they didn't do that.  QDM clears the first line when you try and draw a second.  Is there a way to do what I want but I've missed it.

tim arnot

No, there isn't a way to do that. But it's a nice feature, so I'll put it on the todo list. Thanks.

Tim. @TimArnot

Grunt

Quote from: tim arnot on January 19, 2011, 09:04:18 AM
No, there isn't a way to do that. But it's a nice feature, so I'll put it on the todo list. Thanks.

Thanks.  I appreciate that - it is very handy and no other planner has it.

Grunt

Quote from: tim arnot on January 19, 2011, 09:04:18 AM

Tim, is this on the To-Do for version 3!  What I would like to see is.

1.  From any point drag a QDM line that gives distance and bearing from the point.  Leave that line on the map
2.  Go to another point and drag another QDM line so that it crosses the first one.  Leave that line on the map
3.  Be able to click on the intersection and create a user waypoint

Optionally the ability to draw a third line would be nice.

For the VA's I fly and the areas we fly very often waypoints are given as intersections of bearings and distances from two navaids (NDB, VOR, etc.), airports, or towns, etc.

Thanks.

Paul J

Just like to add my message of complete agreement, Tim: that QDM line is a magic part of the planner and needs to be enhanced in the manner described by Grunt. I use this for group IFR touring around the PNW - eight routes with seven or eight legs each, and - even though Plan G is by far the best and most user-friendly planner around - QDM is a toughie to use in its' present form.

Edit:
The other thing I would like to see (and maybe I've missed it, as I'm a fairly new user) - is a compass rose around the VOR stations.

Many Thanks,

pj