News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Ability to download terrain data to save bandwidth?

Started by Alexrey, January 28, 2011, 10:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexrey

Hey guys, I downloaded Plan-G yesterday. I love the way it intergrates Google Earth, it's also very easy to use and a very attractive looking flight planner. One problem I have though is that my internet connection only runs at 384kbps and so it takes a while to load map sections. I have two questions regarding this problem of mine:

1) What data type (Map, Satellite, Hybrid, Terrain, Earth) uses the least bandwidth?
2) More importantly, is there a way to download certain Google maps (i.e. the terrain maps for South Africa), so that when I'm making flight plans in South Africa, using Plan-G, I don't have to stream/buffer the maps on the go?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: I found a program called Google Maps Terrain Downloader that let me download the terrain view of South Africa at level 8 zoom and put it into a bmp image file. Is there a way to integrate this bmp with Plan-G?

tim arnot

1. I would guess 'Map', since it contains generally less detail.

2. No. To do so would be in breach of Google's Terms of Use, and could potentially result in denial of access for all users. Google are very strict about this. Do not even think about trying it.

Tim. @TimArnot

Alexrey

Damn that's disappointing :(. Is there a way to at least allow me to cache more Google Maps data when using Plan-G so I have to stream less often?

Al R.

Maybe a little off, but if you allow users to set a dummy type like:

mapTypeId: google.maps.MapTypeId.TERRAINx

The back ground image is set to nothing and there will be much less traffic.  I am not sure how useful it is, but you will still be able to see the overlays.  This is sort-of the opposite of F8.

Al,

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot