News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Elevation Data

Started by Polaire, February 15, 2011, 11:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polaire

I read about downloading and installing the Digital elevation Model (DEM) tiles on page 96 of the PDF manual. So I download the b10g.gz file and put it into the Plan-G\DEM folder.

I opened Plan G, opened a flight plan (the tutorial flight plan) and expected to see elevation data displayed, but it is not showing. The Plan G 'View' tile has the 'Plan Elevation' box greyed out, so it seems that it can't use the  b10g.gz file.

What have I missed?

John

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot

Polaire

Well, I was expecting to have a file to unzip, but all that I saw was the b10g.gz.

That is not a winzip file is it?

I have an uncomfortable feeling that I am being 'unaware' :P

I'll look again at the process!

Polaire

I now realise that not all 'zipped' files are the same! I blush!  :-[

I have unzipped the b10g.gz and the elevation is now working

Thanks Tim

Polaire

I have just realised that the problem was that I did not have winzip on my latest PC. Although I have been able to extract files from .zip extensions before, presumably using a Windows 7 facility

I've installed Wizip and it now shows the b10g.gz as a zipped file

w9nwrwi

Hello Polaire,

I had somewhat of the same problem with my unzip on Windows7, did not recognize the file type.
To make a long story short I found that this extractor works just fine for the required DEM files.

Link:  http://www.7-zip.org/

I am no computer expert, I just hunt around to find what works.

If I read you correctly your running Windows7 so watch out that some of this stuff
does not get installed under Program Files, i.e. the ol compatibility thing.  I really do not
know if 7-zip falls into that category, but I had it install under C:\.

The altitude item works just fine in Plan-G.

Regards,
Chuck

Computer:
CPU:i7-6700 4.0GHz, Ram:32GB,  Video.Card: GTX 1070 8Gb, OS:Win 10, 3ea 24" HDMI Widescreen.
X-Plane 11

Polaire

Chuck - thanks for that information. I will replace Winzip with that programme.

It will be obvious that I know very little about computers, but I know enough to get by on most subjects connected with Flt Sim.

Windows 7 normally offers the 'extract here' facility,but in this case it didn't, so I did not understand that some kind of programme had to be used to unzip the file.

Thanks again

John