News:

Main Menu

Cross-over cable connection

Started by petehowell57, March 10, 2011, 12:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petehowell57

Firstly, thank you Tim for an amazing program. It really has enhanced my flight sim experience. Here's how I got it rigged.

FSX on desktop; Plan-G on laptop, both running W7 x 64.

I use Plan_G both as a planning tool and also as a moving map. Brilliant! Especially when discovering new airports in ORBX country.

At present both pc's are connected wirelessly, and on the whole it works well but at least once per session the connection drops out. Often the (desktop/router ) addres IP has changed slightly eg 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.3.

Doesn't take much to change the info in Plan_G and it works again, although sometimes I have to reboot the router.

I was wondering if it's possible to connect both pc's up directly using an ethernet cross-over cable thus by-passing the wireless system (router is in another room and not possible to hard wire pc's to router directly).

OR should I try to reserve an IP address on the router as has been suggested before (although not sure how to do this!)  Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

Pete

tim arnot

It's much better to reserve your address - you only need to do it once and you can forget about it.

Just google 'reserve address' and the make of your router, and you should find lots of tutorials on how to do it.

Tim. @TimArnot

petehowell57

Many thanks Tim. At work so will try that tonight.

Pete