Problem generating database for FSX in Plan-G_V2.0.5.493

Started by freded, March 29, 2011, 08:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freded

I have just updated Plan-G to V2.0.5.493 and on running the program and attempting to generate a database for FSX, the screen goes black for a second and then returns with a message saying: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered." The window showing the database progress becomes inactive and the progress bar partially black.
This repeats, as far as I can tell, ad infinitum. During this process, I am unable to access any other running programs, as the computer is locked and the mouse icon immobile. My only recourse is to wait for one of the very brief periods when the mouse is functioning and then shut down Plan-G.
The same problem occurs when attempting to generate the FS9 database and it makes no difference if FS is running or not.
Other programs running are Adobe Reader, MS Outlook, TextPad, MS Word and Firefox.
I have never seen such a problem with the display driver - ATi Radeon HD5850 - before.
Has anyone else encountered this problem with v. 2.0.5.493? It did not occur with previous versions.
Regards,

Mark  :(
Regards,

Mark

freded

An additional note: Rebooting does not correct the problem...
Regards,

Mark

tim arnot

I've never seen anything like that, nor has anyone else reported it. I don't really know what to suggest.
The recent changes to the database have only been to change some values that were incorrect; The process of reading the FS scenery files and writing the data has not changed in a long time. I can't imagine how or why it would affect the display driver.

Could you post the log file, in case it shows any errors?

Tim. @TimArnot

freded

Hi Tim,

I found Plan-G Log.txt and it is massive: more than 29 MB, so I abstracted from it what appeared to be yesterday's input saving that as Plan-G Log.2.txt and that reduced it to 2.9 MB. I then renamed both files, adding .BAK as a suffix and reran the database generator for FSX.
The same problem with the display driver immediately occurred and, of course, a new Plan-G Log.txt was produced of a mere 331 KB.
I am appending it here in case it sheds some light on the problem.
Is it possible that some parameter in my display driver is causing this?
Hope you can find an answer.

Mark

PS: The appendage exceeded the maximum allowed length of 20,000 characters, so I am attaching the file instead...
Regards,

Mark

tim arnot

330k is about the right size for a database build, since it lists all the files and sceneries that it checks. The only error listed happens before the build starts, when it tries to download weather details from the web (do you have Skype enabled on your PC?). You could try turning off Web Weather and see if that makes a difference. The log stops before the db build finishes, so it's possible something goes wrong afterwards.

Do you still have the 29mb log file? With a file that size I'd expect to see essentially one error message, repeated over and over. It would be useful if you were able to find that message and clip it out.

Tim. @TimArnot

freded

Hi Tim,

I have 'good news' - but first I'll answer your questions.

1. No, Skype is neither enabled nor installed on this PC.

2. Where do I find Web Weather? I am familiar with FS Meteo but do not have it in use at present.

3. "The log stops before the db build finishes" - that's because I stopped it running at thet point owing to the display driver problem. (See below)

4. Yes, I still have the 29 MB log file and have abstracted from it the lines produced when this problem first occurred - 2.9 MB. (The 29 MB log file seems to have been started when I first ran the database generator some time ago, so most of it is irrelevant). I shall attach it to this - if it is allowed.

Now the 'good news'! In the middle of last night I had a an idea: Why not start the generation of the FSX database and just leave it to run undisturbed for several hours? Can't do any harm... So I did that and found this morning that the database-generation had completed and the display driver was OK. So then repeated the exercise with FS9: Same result.

Final size of the uninterrupted FSX + FS9 log file is 3.4 MB.

Please find that 2.9 MB log file attached - and I hope it gives you a clue as to what is happening. Note that it too was stopped after several iterations of the display driver problem.

Oh, I now see that for attachments "maximum individual size 1024KB", so will try to pare it down to the first 900 KB or so...

Regards,

Mark
Regards,

Mark

tim arnot

You can turn off web weather downloads from Options->Weather.

Other than the weather issue mentioned before - and that may simply be a knock on from the other issue - there are no errors listed. You do appear to have a huge amount of scenery installed, and that is accounting for the massive size of the log file. But it doesn't explain the screen problems.

The length of time it's taking to build is probably the result of the graphics driver restarts. As to why the driver is crashing, I'm afraid we are no nearer an explanation. Have a look in the Windows system logs; maybe they will show something. And check the drivers are up to date, is about all else I can suggest.

Tim. @TimArnot

freded

Hi Tim,

Ah! That weather! Didn't know it was called Web Weather...

Yes, I do have a lot of scenery but, as you say, it doesn't explain the problem, especially as the problem did not arise with the same scenery until I installed v. 2.0.5.493.

There are several items in the Windows System Logs pertaining to the display driver, which correspond to the times that the problem occurred but they do not shed any light on the cause - as far as I can tell.

The ATi Radeon drivers are up to date as I installed them last week.

Anyway, thanks for your input and for a very well designed program. As far as I can tell from a cursory look at v. 2.0.5.493, it seems to have corrected the problem I had with moused-over VORs and NDBs, etc., which would not always show their identity, frequency and other parameters in v. 2.0.3.

Regards,

Mark
Regards,

Mark

cvearl

I have this exact issue. Not in previous versions but lately on this current version.

If I click FIND and AIRPORT and usually as I click the ICAO field, the screen will go grey and the computer will freeze. Moments later I get the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

I have an ATI 6870 running the driver prior to the current one on the AMD site. This did not happen before with my 4870 as far as I can remember.

Win764. Plan-G 2.0.5.493

Charles.

Skauber

Hi!

I'm a new user of Plan-G. After trying to find a replacement for FSNav, I've tried softwares like FS Commander and similar, but none even comes close to FSNav in the functionality the way I like it. Until now, Plan-G not only works as well as FSNav, its greatly improves on it! It's much much better than anything else, pay or free! Vroute is the only one that is a contender, but it is catering to a different use in my opinion. :)

Anyway, I'm having the same issues as described above. Display driver stops and gets recovered.

My system as follows:

Windows 7 x64 SP1
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
AMD Radeon HD 5770 1Gb
4Gb DDR3 RAM