News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

connecting over network

Started by johnboykennard007, May 28, 2011, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnboykennard007

Hi. can anyone help me pleazzzzze ?,  I am attempting to run plan-g on a laptop running vista along side my desktop which is windows7 and running the fsx.  I have created a simconnect.xml file as per plan-g instructions in the comprehensive manual, and placed it in the same folder as the fsx.cfg file, have mapped my windows7 drive and laptop can see it, hjave done all the other things I have read in your great forums, but still get a connectivity error coming up.  I am pulling out my hair and my eyeballs are hanging out with over 50 hours time on this problem.  Do I need to map drive both computers?, have tried both mapped and just fsx pc mapped neither work.  Am I missing something very simple ?.  Your help would be gratefully appreciated..

tim arnot

Can you post your simconnect.cfg, and the section of the Plan-G log that covers the connection attempt?

Thanks

Tim. @TimArnot

johnboykennard007

Hi Tim, Thanks for reply,

my plan-g connection log is as follows:
07:34:09.9 SimConnect.Connect
07:34:09.9 SimConnect.Connect - Remote. Mode = IPv6 Server = xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxb Port = 4506
07:34:29.9 SimConnect remote connection timed out
07:34:29.9 SimConnect.Disconnect

My simconnect.xml is:

<simconnect.comm>
<disabled>false</disabled>
<protocal>IPv6</protocal>
<scope>link-local</scope>
<address>fexx::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx</address>
<port>4506</port>
<maxrecvsize<4096</maxrecvsize>
<disablenagle>false</disablenagle>
</simconnect.comm>

With what I have read it can be a hard job getting this to work, and the plan-g manual suggests fuispc4, as this is known to deffinatly work,. Have tried this and still no luck, Is this easier to do?.

Cheers johnboy

tim arnot

Well you've blanked out the connection details (which was the whole point of posting the log), so I can't confirm they are consistent.

Other things you can check:

* Confirm you are using the link-local address for the correct LAN adapter (use IPConfig). Many PCs also have more than one, including virtual 'tunneling' adapters

* Use ping from the command line to verify connectivity between PCs

* Check your permissions level. Is FSX running as Administrator? Is Plan-G? (They should both have the same permissions level)

* Make sure there are no firewall or antivirus blocks preventing connection

* Make sure FSX is at SP2 (or you have Acceleration installed)

Tim. @TimArnot

johnboykennard007

Yes point taken, but as i`m not a proficient computer user, I thought posting the numbers would be a  security issue, but yes both sets of numbers do match.  The list of things you have suggested are a bit beyond my understanding and capabilities, can you perhaps let me know how to achieve them  points.

Have checked out the link-local addresses and they are different on each computer, could this be the problem?, and if so how do I resolve this, does it matter which computer I change to match the other one.

Fully appreciate your time in this matter.

Johnboy.

tim arnot

Link-local addresses cannot be used or accessed outside of your immediate LAN, so there's no security issue (that's what link-local means: it's literally just a local link). They are also directly tied to the individual LAN adapter (specifically to the MAC address, which you can think of as a serial number), and so no two adapters will ever have the same link-local address. The address you need to use in both the connection settings and the xml file is the one you are connecting *to*, ie the Desktop PC running FSX.

Hope that helps.

Tim. @TimArnot

johnboykennard007

Thanks for that tim.  I have been reading up on using a ethernet cable to achieve a connection between desktop (fsx) and laptop (plan-g), I have a cable here would this be a better and easier way to connect between the 2, and if so is it easier.

johnboykennard007

Tim, am confused.  Have just changed ipv6 address on laptop to same as desktop(fsx) and am getting a network ip conflict come up saying 2 computers are using the same ip but surely this is what im meant to be achieving for them to communicate together, or am i missing the point??.

Also when i ping the desktop link-local ipv6 address from laptop I get a response back, thats good, but when I ping wireless tunnel adaptor ip from desktop to laptop I get host unreachable, timed out, but if i ping the wireless lan from desktop to laptop its good. Is this my problem, I thought the desktop did`nt need to communicate with laptop as plan-g from laptop communicates with desktop. 

Also when I mapped my network drive on the laptop for the desktop, I could not access the folder that fsx was installed in i.e. c:/program files(x86)/microsoft games/microsoft flight simulator x, So had to copy fsx folder to c:/users folder because this was visible from the laptop through z:/ mapped drive I created.  Im new to this networking and am not sure if this is correct or if this might also be my downfall.

tim arnot

NO you do not change the network settings in Windows! The *only* place you type the IP is in the Plan-G connection dialog, and the simconnect.xml file. These must both contain the IP of the FS PC.

The communication must work in both directions (otherwise information cannot reach Plan-G from the FS PC). 'Host unreachable' suggests it is being blocked by a firewall or antivirus program, so that is the first place to look.

Tim. @TimArnot

johnboykennard007

Also when i ping the desktop link-local ipv6 address from laptop I get a response back, thats good, but when I ping wireless tunnel adaptor ip from desktop to laptop I get host unreachable, timed out, but if i ping the wireless lan from desktop to laptop its good. Is this my problem, I thought the desktop did`nt need to communicate with laptop as plan-g from laptop communicates with desktop. 

Also when I mapped my network drive on the laptop for the desktop, I could not access the folder that fsx was installed in i.e. c:/program files(x86)/microsoft games/microsoft flight simulator x, So had to copy fsx folder to c:/users folder because this was visible from the laptop through z:/ mapped drive I created.  Im new to this networking and am not sure if this is correct or if this might also be my downfall.

tim arnot

You need the ip address for the main wireless network adapter. The "tunneling adaptor" is something else and won't work.

Tim. @TimArnot

johnboykennard007

tim, im convinced my problem is administritive problems, when setting up network drives(mapped), on both computers am getting told I dont have administritive powers.  Am I better just re-installing my op sys, and doing it that way or will that not help.

tim arnot

Your user account needs to have administrative rights for Windows to allow you to set up network shares.

Tim. @TimArnot