News:

Main Menu

Incorrect Elevations

Started by d.woody, August 25, 2011, 11:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d.woody

I am having a problem planning an approach to Malaga SKLA (Columbia). The airport is correctly stated as 6702ft, but elevations for the surrounding terrain are unclear. Terrain view at high zoom, shows contour line of 2100m about 0.2nm from the threshold. This is probably correct, but when I hold the mouse over the contour line to get a spot elevation it gives me 9094ft. Conversion of the 2100m contour should be 6889ft, so why am I getting 9094 ft on the spot elevation?
d.woody

tim arnot

Maybe there's a mesh error at that point?

Tim. @TimArnot

d.woody

Thanks Tim
Mesh and scenery are all original default for this area. I have noticed in several other areas that the spot elevation feature is different to the contour lines, but the particular area where I had the problem has, by far, the largest difference I have found. Perhaps I should check for real world elevations at known spots, like mounrains etc and see how they measure up.

The flight I was setting up has a particularly nasty approach and landing with no escape route, (unless you are in an ultra-light or a military jet), not the DC3 I was using, so I was spending considerable time in getting my approach plan correct. I didn't want an unexpected landing into the side of a mountain.

Never mind, probably something I (we) can live with in an otherwise excellent program.

tim arnot

In Plan-G the mesh used is the one that you downloaded from the NGS website and installed. Obviously I have no control over any inaccuracies in it.

Tim. @TimArnot