News:

Main Menu

Plan G and Google

Started by jfmitch, September 19, 2011, 12:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfmitch

I heard that Google Earth did a major update and I'm wondering if this is why no maps will show up when I turn on Plan G?

jfmitch

By No Maps I mean bitmaps.  There are 5 different maps one should be able to get:  Map, Satellite,Hybrid,Terrain and Earth.  All that will work is Earth.  The others show squares with small icons in the upper left corner.  It's like the program can't figure out what graphics program to use.  Reloading this program would be a royal pain.  I can't for the life of me explain why one day it works perfect and now this.

tim arnot

It may just be the load on Google's servers, or maintenance upstream, or...

Tim. @TimArnot

jfmitch

Well it's been quite a while and I still can't get one of the five types of maps to download.  What type of file makes up the maps: jpg, bmp, ????  The icon for the mapped area (each square) is in the upper left corner of each square but the rest of the square is blank (gray colored).  I can't find anyone who has had this problem. :(

Jim

tim arnot

The tiles come straight from google's servers (it's prohibited to cache them locally), and they are displayed simply as the results of a web query. If they don't display for you, the most likely reason is that the data is being blocked by your firewall or antivirus program.

Tim. @TimArnot

jfmitch

Checked firewall and anti-virus.  No blocks.  I can use Google Earth and now the Earth screen of the program.  Everything else is just an icon.

jfmitch

Situation resolved.

IE
Tools
Internet Options
Advanced
Multimedia
Show pictures (checked)

Damn don't know why that ever got turned off and I know I didn't do it.

tim arnot

Thanks Jim, I wasn't even aware of that setting.

Glad you have it working now, and hopefully that may help others too.  :)

Tim. @TimArnot