News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Simconnect over network help...I know, yet another one

Started by ESzczesniak, September 19, 2011, 06:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESzczesniak

I was hoping that I could get some help setting up Plan-G to show me live flight following over a network.  I'm hoping to use this during some long distance simulated A2A B-17G missions.  FSX scenery is too generic to get accurate position references based on bearing to landmarks (using 2 or points of course), so my plan was to use Plan-G every 30-40 minutes to make such position marks.  I could then determine wind/course corrections/etc from this and have it work in a reasonably accurate manner.  Unfortunately, my FSX doesn't get along well in windowed modes or alt-tabs, hence the reason I wanted to set this up over a network.

So down to business.  I have an FSX computer running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows XP SP3.  Both have Plan-G 2.0.5 installed and I have mapped network drives as needed to point the laptop to my FSX computers installation folders over my home network.  I have successfully built the FSX navigation data base over the network as well. 

I followed the instructions for making a simconnect.xml files (I did not have one previously) and experimented with both IPv4 and IPv6.  I ultimately made a file with the IPv4 and set these settings on my laptop Plan-G installation as well.  After experimenting with all of this I made one successful connection to the default flight at Friday Harbor.  However, since this successful connection I have not changed a single thing.  Every further attempt to connect the two states that Plan-G on my laptop computer was unable to connect, connection timed out.

I do have a static IP address set for my FSX computer, so I do not think this is an issue.  So, any ideas or what's wrong, or even more importantly, what diagnostic tests/steps can I run to start tracking this issue down?  I appreciate any and all help.

tim arnot

Have you tried the tool in the stickied thread at the top of this forum?

Tim. @TimArnot

ESzczesniak

Yes, and immediately afterwards is the one time everything did connect.  That's what's confusing me the most.  Immediately after using this tool, Plan-G connected over the network.  I have changed NOTHING (to my knowledge) with FSX or any other program and I haven't been able to get it to connect since then.

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot