News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Data Caching

Started by Alexrey, December 21, 2011, 10:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexrey

My internet connection is extremely slow, so I was wondering if there is a way to cache more data in order to not have to wait for the images to load each time I open Plan-G, since I usually fly in roughly the same area.

tim arnot

No it's not permitted within Google's terms of service.

V3 will be a different matter though, since it does not use google.

Tim. @TimArnot

Simon Marshall

I'd welcome some form of local cache as well.

Alexrey

Wow, version 3 sounds like it's going to be amazing! What will it use instead of Google Maps/Earth?

tim arnot

V3 uses OpenStreetmaps. The main driving force behind the change is the fact that Google will start charging for maps access in January, which is something that (a) I can't afford and (b) couldn't charge enough even to cover the licence if I made Plan-G payware.

OSM is the obvious replacement. Not such a nice map in some ways, and there's no terrain shading. But it's free, and standards compliant so it'll never go away. Plus they positively encourage local caching (since it reduces the load on their servers). V3 will also support WMS (Web Map Service), so you can also use any public tile server, or your own private server if you have one.

Tim. @TimArnot

Alexrey

I'll definitely be downloading V3 when it comes out after hearing this news. Thank you so much for your continued effort to bring us such an amazing flight planner!

Simon Marshall

It'll work with X-Plane 10 as well.