News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Magnetic vs Grid Headings in Plan G

Started by VH-DUX, December 24, 2011, 06:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VH-DUX

Recently, I found myself lost near Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, because Plan G had given me a heading that appears to me to have added the magnetic variation of the area rather than subtracting it.

I put this to the VATPAC forum, and others agree with me.

The hop in question is Tooraddin to Lilydale, and Plan G advises 355 True/007 Magnetic. FSX and I hold the opinion that the Mag heading should be 342, and when I fly this it works for me.

Is this something Plan G does only in the southern hemisphere, or only in Australia? In any case, does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks for a great tool

VH-DUX

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot

tim arnot

Ok, the problem is actually with the addon Tooradin airport. If you move the mouse over the area, you'll see that the general magvar is 12 degrees East. But if you put the mouse over the airport, you'll see that the magvar specified for the airport is actually 12 degrees West. And that's where the course error comes from. The error also applies to Tyabb nearby.

Tim. @TimArnot

VH-DUX

Magnificent!

Thanks Tim, this is the sort of diagnosis that keeps us enjoying our virtual flying and not getting taken off into technical labyrinths. I will pass this on the both the VATPAC forum and the scenery developer.

Merry Christmas

VH-DUX