News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

"Configuring Plan-G Map"

Started by martinlest, January 09, 2012, 04:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinlest

Two simple questions (but I haven't been able to find the answers):

1. How do I set the map so that due north is always at the top?
2. Can I set the map so that it opens automatically in 'Hybrid' view?

Great addon for FSX this BTW, so thank you to those who developed it....

Thanks,

Martin

Intel Core i7-950 CPU @ 3.8GHz; GeForce GTX 470 GPU, 1280MB; 1 x OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB SSD; 1 x Corsair Force 120GB SSD; 2 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA drives; 6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X T1 TRI-DDR3 2000MHz RAM; ASUS P6X58D-E M/B; 2 x HannsG monitors, 28" & 24"; Windows 7 x64; FSX/FS9.1

tim arnot

1. True North is always at the top. There is no other option. Magnetic North will vary according to where you are in the world.

2. Once you've set a map mode, it should stay that way.

Tim. @TimArnot

martinlest

Hi. Here is a screenshot. My a/c shows I am heading 360 degs, but the Plan-G map shows me at some 140 degrees, and the a/c icon moves towards the bottom right-hand corner of the map. When the icon is moving towards the top of the map, what appears 'due north', my FSX a/c shows about 220 degrees heading. This is at about 75degs south latitude.

The map always opens in 'Terrain' mode - I set it to Hybrid each time. Is there a way to keep it in Hybrid mode when it starts? Not really a problem of course, I just change it manually if not. It doesn't 'stick' in Hybrid view though, as you suggest.

Thanks again,

Martin

tim arnot

Yes that's correct. If you look at a polar map of Antarctica you'll see that magnetic North is at a bearing of roughly 140 degrees to true North. Refer also to the "FSX Limitations" section of the Antarctica-X manual.

If you feel confident editing a text file, open the google.html file in your Plan-G folder (make a backup first) and change the line

map.setMapType(G_PHYSICAL_MAP);

to

map.setMapType(G_HYBRID_MAP);

Tim. @TimArnot

martinlest

Ok, many thanks for the reply & information,

Martin