News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

cannot find Y:

Started by gigemaggs99, January 17, 2012, 05:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gigemaggs99

I had Plan G working fine and then I went and did something wrong.

I had Plan G working on network. Plan G was installed and running on "this" PC (running windows vista) while FSX was running on my 2nd PC (running windows 7). I had FSX installed on the C:\Program Files (x86) on my other PC.

The FSX.CFG file was in (Y:) C:\Users\Gus and Julie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

I was using I IIPv4 and it was running fine.

Then I removed FSX from my C: program files(x86) did a complete uninstall, defrag...etc...etc... and repartitioned my new PC harddrive, did a complete fresh install of FSX on drive B:

Now when I go to load up Plan-G on this (my vista computer) it wants me to Build a Database. So I tell it Z:\FSX (and located it on my network under my B: drive). Then I locate my FSX.cfg file under my mapped Y: drive (as mapped above) and then click on Build Database and it flies threw really fast putting 0 airports, 0 waypoints, nothing.

This is what my screen looks like:

I tried remapping my Y: drive to Program Data\Microsoft\FSX and then telling Plan-G to look at the Program Data networked drive instead. Plan G is able to see the following files, Facilities, Scenery Chache, and SceneryIndexes. It cannot see fsx.CFG. I type the file in there and click ok, I click on build database and still 0's.

Can you please help me?

Does FSX have to be on the C: drive of a networked PC for Plan-G to work?

Thank you.

gigemaggs99

Here is my Plan-G log file

gigemaggs99

Ok, I restarted both PC's. I have the FSX machine with the following drives mapped:

FSX(\\Gus_julie-pc\c\ProgramData\Microsoft\)(Y:)

Microsoft Flight Simulator X(\\Gus_julie-pc\b)(Z:)

My PC running Plan-G sees both of the above network drives and I have mapped the following drive on this machine:

G-Plan(\\Gusandjulie-pc\c\Users\Gus and Julie\Documents) (X:)

I use this mapped drive to share the created flight plans.

G-plan was able to create the database.

Inside G-plan I went to FILE\Options\FS Connections and selected Simconnect, IPv4, xxx.xxx.x.103, 4506.

When I start FSX then I hit Connect on the main screen of G-Plan and it gives me these 2 errors:

Any tips?

I've attached the new Plan-G log.

Any help you could give me to get this awesome program up and running would be great. When I had Plan-G running on my PC just a few days ago (when FSX was on the C: drive) I had a blast. This is by far one of the best programs out there.

Thanks again.

Gus

Peter Dodds

I found that using Network Drive letters Z:, Y: etc., isn't always straightforward.  in order for them to be recognised by the other PC, I have to open the folder first. So on the Plan G PC trying to access the network drive located on the FSX PC, I open up "Network" then double click Z:\ which opens the network drive folder on the FSX PC.  I close the folder again, and after that Plan-G and FSX will talk to each other.  This is Windows XP though.

Oddly, I don't have to do this if I want to connect Plan-G to my FS9 PC - it just works.  The FS9 PC is also Windows XP.

Peter

tim arnot

1. Make sure the shared drives have been mounted before you try to access them. I think there is an option to do this automatically on startup (I'm typing this on a Mac, so have no way to check)

2. Does your FS PC still have the same IP address? If you're using DHCP, there's no guarantee it'll have the same address each time you reboot. But there is an option in most routers to reserve addresses  for specific NICs.

Tim. @TimArnot

gigemaggs99

1. Make sure the shared drives have been mounted before you try to access them. I think there is an option to do this automatically on startup (I'm typing this on a Mac, so have no way to check)

Sorry if I sound like a newbie, but can you define "mounted? When I start both machines it shows the 3 drives, Z: Y: and X: they are all shared, and connected.

2. Does your FS PC still have the same IP address? If you're using DHCP, there's no guarantee it'll have the same address each time you reboot. But there is an option in most routers to reserve addresses  for specific NICs.

When I run IPconfig on the PC running FSX it gives me 2 answers so I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for.

For the IPv4 Address it gives me ....192.168.0.103

For all the others (IPv4 default gateway, IPv4 DHCP server, IPv4 DNS server) it shows: 192.168.0.1

Which one do I put in xml/Plan-g ?

Also in the Plan-G manual it says "The Port value – 4506 – need only be changed from the example above, if you have an existing SimConnect.xml file and you see that Port 4506 is already in use." How do I know if port 4506 is already in use? I've tried changing this to 4505 in both places, 6600 in both places. I've also tried using IPv6 and updating the address to what it shows in my IPconfig, I get the same time out error. I've also tried using FSUIPC which is loaded (version 4) on the FSX machine and when I attempt to connect this way in Plan-G it tells me FSUIPC is not running.

I sure hope I can get this program to work.

gigemaggs99

Hmmm, well I thought I may have it, but alas.

In my xml file I had the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
Plan G User Manual V 2.05 March 2011
Page 91 of 106
<SimConnect.Comm>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Protocol>Auto</Protocol>
<Scope>global</Scope>
<Address>192.168.0.103</Address>
<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
<Port>4506</Port>
<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>
<SimConnect.Comm>
<Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
<Scope>global</Scope>
<Port>4506</Port>
</SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>

I changed it to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
<SimConnect.Comm>
<Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
<Scope>global</Scope>
<Port>4506</Port>
</SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>

I then saved the file, told plan-G to look for SimConnect, IPv4, 192.168.0.103, 4506. Closed Plan-G.

Restarted both PCs and then started FSX and then Plan-G when I click connect I get the same:

"Unable to connect to remote Flight Simulator (timeout). Check FSX is running, and that your protocal settings are correct."

Text log attached:

Please help, thank you sir.

tim arnot

If the IP address is correct, then maybe it's being blocked by your firewall?

Tim. @TimArnot