News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

PlanG and FSX don't agree on airport location

Started by realm174, January 29, 2012, 03:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realm174

I use FSX, and PlanG 2.0.5.493.  I created a flight plan in PG from CYEG to CEN4.  Both locations show fine on the map. I load the plan in FSX, and FSX seem to think my destination is over 3000NM away from where it actually is.  I re-create the same plan in FSX, and everything is as it should be. Very simple plan, from airport to airport, no waypoints in between.  I compared both pln files, to see if I could spot the difference, and I couldn't figure out the difference.  If you'd like to have a look at the files, there's pasted here:

PlanG format: http://pastebin.com/biykJ8V1

FSX Format: http://pastebin.com/07PpU01V

thanks!

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot

realm174

Thanks for looking into it Tim. It actually happened on a few different plans (which I unfortunately did not save) but seems to happen mostly when I have the destination at a "not-large-airport). For example, I was going from Jasper to CFH8 (Zajes) and had the same problem.

tim arnot

Ok, its a rounding error.

Basically, when it writes the flight plan out, it needs to fix the latitude & longitude to 2 places of decimals for the seconds value. In some circumstances this can lead to a value of 60.00 seconds. This needs to be adjusted to 1 minute and 0 seconds. It's doing this for the case of +60.00 seconds, but not for the case of -60.00 seconds.

FSX treats the 60.00 seconds as an invalid value, and sets the whole longitude (or latitude) to 0, which is why your waypoint moves to the Greenwich Meridian or Equator.

It'll be fixed in v3, but in the meantime, you'll need to tweak the plan file and change the seconds value from 60.00 to (say) 59.99.

Tim. @TimArnot

realm174

Awesome, thanks for looking into it. Looking forward to V3 :)