News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Newbie on networks.

Started by Richbro, February 01, 2012, 05:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richbro

Hello Plan-G,
I recently built a PC specifically to run FSX and now have the network between old and new machine. I have FSUIPC and WideFS installed and have downloaded PLan-G to the old machine.
Clicking on the FSX Data button creates the start window but the transfer gets to about 'airports' and the window closes so I gather this is because the data is not being recieved.
Being a newbie at this network business so I'm a bit stumped having mapped the network and used 'Z' drive on th enon FSX PC and nominated the FSX programme path.

Much appreciated in anticipation of help to get me out of this dilemma.

Richard
p.s. When I say say I built a PC it sounds like I know what I'm doing. Not so, most of the time I held my breathe, especially when I first switched on!

tim arnot

Easiest thing to do is install Plan-G on your FS PC and build the database there. You can then just copy the data folder across to the old PC, and no need to worry about mappings etc.

Tim. @TimArnot

Richbro

Thanks Tim,
I did actually try an instal on the FSX PC and all worked well. However, I thought it defeated the object of the exercise of having the networked PC but, if you say copy the data folder to the old PC what advantage would I gain from that?
Anyway, I have a go at that and see what transpires.
Thanks for your prompt reply by the way.

Regards,
Richard.

Richbro

I forgot to ask you Tim, having FSUIPC and WideFS on the old PC didn't work then?
Regards,
Richard.

tim arnot

Eh?

You still need WideFS/FSUIPC (or SimConnect for FSX) if you want to see telemetry data or traffic in Plan-G. The folder copy simply gets around the requirement for faffing about with mapped drives when getting things set up.

Tim. @TimArnot

Richbro

OK Tim, understand now.
Thanks,
Richard.