News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Plan-G for Flight!

Started by J van E, April 30, 2012, 02:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J van E

I've been flying in MS Flight since the day it was released. I am having big fun flying around solely with the use of VOR. I had one problem though: the ingame map isn't precise enough for planning flights (you can't figure out exact radials for triangulation). I tried various other options like using Skyvector (which offers the offical VFR sectional for Hawaii) and AirNav (which offers radials to a lot of airports but not all) but no solution was perfect.

Then I suddenly thought about giving Plan-G a try to plan my flights and figure out the radials for triangulation. And guess what: it works perfectly! The radials that Plan-G give me to get to (for example) an airport that has no VOR on the field are SPOT ON! They usually are the same as AirNav shows and they always put me right above my destination in Flight!

Of course you have to be a bit creative on how to figure out the radials for triangulation. I usually create a simple A to B flight plan and then edit the plan by dragging the middle of the line to the first VOR I want to use for triangulation. I then make a note of the heading which also is the exact radial. Then I drag that waypoint to the other VOR I want to use for the other radial. Both VORs won't be added to the plan itself (because they often are way off track) but I simply use the information for triangulation. Works like a charm!!! :D

EDIT
Of course you need the FSX database to get this all working. Would be great if Plan-G could read the Flight database too...!  ;)

tim arnot

Intersecting radials will be much easier in v3, although there's no direct support for Flight on the horizon right now.

Tim. @TimArnot

J van E

Quote from: tim arnot on April 30, 2012, 08:18:28 PM
Intersecting radials will be much easier in v3.

That's great news! As it is now I have to use some tricks to figure out the desired radials. I posted a tutorial on how I use Plan-G for that and Flight on AVSIM: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/372241-the-big-vor-topic/page__st__50#entry2356096