News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Quick Access Toolbar_First menu item

Started by JoHubb, July 23, 2012, 09:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoHubb

I run Plan-G on a laptop connected to PCs running FSX and FS9 respectively.  I have loaded the database for FS9 but not the one for FSX.  A menu item named 'First' has appeared on the QA toolbar above Data. 
Now I cannot access the main toolbar although I can zoom and move the map. 

I've searched the manual but can find no reference to this mysterious 'First' menu item. 
What to do?
Thanks.

John

Joe M

It seems to me that P-G is looking for the FSX database also. Even though you have not built it, P-G "sees" FSX and is wanting you to build that database before it "allows" access. Tim will have to answer with a work-around if it is available.

JoHubb

Thanks, Joe M. 

I should have said that the PC running FSX is no longer on the network and cannot be reinstated for at least a week.  In the meantime, I am running FS9 exclusively on the second PC. So, your suggestion seems dead right. Plan-G is looking for FSX and isn't happy it's disappeared.

Hopefully there can be a work-around. 

John

tim arnot

If you put the data there by hand, check that the file is in the right place and has the correct filename. Plan-G only displays the "Build database" message if it can't find *any* data.

Tim. @TimArnot

JoHubb

Thanks, Tim.  No, the FSX data were loaded using the P-G loader.  But the FSX PC is no longer connected - it is unavailable.  Shall I just remove PlanG_FSX.sdf? 

John

tim arnot

The presence or otherwise of FSX or FS9 is completely irrelevant. Take your laptop to the mall and run Plan-G from a 3G dongle; it will work fine. I've done it, many times.

The *ONLY* thing that determines whether the First menu is shown is the content or lack thereof of the database.

Tim. @TimArnot

JoHubb

You must be joking.  If not kindly explain. We don't have malls around here, and I do not own a dongle.

tim arnot

That was an *example* Not an instruction!!!

The point it, you can use it anywhere you can get an internet connection. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REQUIREMENT FOR IT TO BE CONNECTED TO AN INSTANCE OF FS.

Tim. @TimArnot

JoHubb

Thanks, Tim.  But I think you may have misunderstood my problem as explained in my first post 

Plan-G is loaded and I've been using it for ages. Now I cannot use it. I do not know why and short of un-installing and re-installing I do not know what to do.  Perhaps that is my best option. 

tim arnot

Read the first few lines of the log file. It will tell you what data it finds, or if there are any errors.

Tim. @TimArnot

JoHubb

Tim

Log file.  Running both Plan-G and WideFS on client (W7) with FS9 on server (Windows XP).   

I cannot use the options tab to select FSUIPC as the connection method. All the tabs are frozen. 

The program will not let me load (re-load?) the FS9 database, even though it is requesting this 'First'. 

21:04:13.6 Starting Plan-G, build 2.0.5.493
21:04:13.6 OS is Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
21:04:14.2 Location is C:\TA Software\Plan-G v2
21:04:14.5 Window_Loaded
21:04:14.5 SetInitialControlStates
21:04:14.6 Checking DEM availability
21:04:14.6 FS9 is installed
21:04:14.6 FSX is installed
21:04:14.6 Checking FSX database built status
21:04:14.6 IsDataLoaded: True
21:04:14.6 Data Source = C:\TA Software\Plan-G v2\Data\PlanG_FSX.sdf
21:04:14.7 Checking FS9 database built status
21:04:14.7 IsDataLoaded: False
21:04:14.7 Data Source = C:\TA Software\Plan-G v2\Data\PlanG_FS9.sdf
21:04:14.7 Setting ribbon group
21:04:14.7 Setting db button states
21:04:14.7 Selected data set is FS9
21:04:14.8 SetInitialControlStates done
21:04:14.8 SetTheme Blue
21:04:14.9 Checking Internet available
21:04:21.6 Setting MRU
21:04:21.6 Checking command line
21:04:21.6 Command line. Length = 1 args = C:\TA Software\Plan-G v2\PlanG.exe,
21:04:21.6 Opening map
21:04:21.7 Starting timers
21:04:21.7 Window_Loaded done
21:04:22.2  DEBUG: Aircraft
21:04:22.2 Clear all Airspace.
etc....

I would be grateful for further advice. 

John

tim arnot

Try running the ClearAllSettings program. See if that helps.

Tim. @TimArnot

JoHubb

:)

That seems to have done it. 
Thanks for the support.

John