News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Unable to launch Plan-G

Started by Premier2k, August 03, 2012, 06:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier2k

Hi all,

After eagerly driving home from work excited about this application. I proceeded to download and install. Unfortunately I'm having some problems running it.

I'm running Windows Home Premium x64
I've installed Plan-G as an administrator and installed it to the default location, (c:\TASoftware\) and also attempted to launch the app as an administrator, but I get an error when I attempt to open it.

The error I get is a generic windows error that something went wrong and it needs to close the program. After searching I found that someone else had this very same problem. They fixed it by running ClearAllSettings, uninstalling and reinstalling and this fixed their problem.

I have tried the same but I get a different error when I run the ClearAllSettings application. The error I get is: Error: Cannot delete a subkey tree because the subkey does not exist.

It sounds like something went wrong during the installation? Maybe it couldn't write into the registry?

I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times to no avail. I've set admin permissions on all of the application icons but still I get the same error.

I've hunted for a log file but can't seem to find one anywhere? (I have enabled 'Show hidden files and folders')

Anyone got any ideas?

Premier2k

tim arnot

Do you get a log file? If not, the program probably isn't even starting, and it's most likely a problem with DotNet4

Tim. @TimArnot

Premier2k

Hi Tim,

I checked for a log file and none was created. Being a software tester it was one of the first things I looked for.
An issue with .Net 4 is a possibility as I had issues installing some updates for it. I'll try reinstalling and see what happens

Thanks,

Premier2k

Premier2k

After a complete .Net 4 repair and update. It appears to have been successful!
I'm now building the Internal Database as I type this.

For others having similar problems, a good step by step guide is:

1) Ensure that the installation has admin rights (Run as an administrator)
2) Attempt to run the application as an administrator
3) If unsuccessful, check for the existence of a log file
4) If a log file does NOT exist then repair .Net 4. You can get the .Net 4 installer here: www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
5) Once the repair has completed, update using Windows Update and then restart your machine
6) Run Plan G and enjoy!

Thanks Tim! I should have thought about .Net 4 issues before you mentioned it. After reinstalling x64 7 I had issues with Windows Update installing patches for it.

Fjodor

I have win7 64 HP also. Because of Microsoft >:D I am using TimeFreeze to check any new application on my system... If something is wrong, I just restart PC and everything is as before, no system change, no registry entry... If it is OK, just accept all changes or restart PC and install it again as before without TimeFreeze...
Maybe just a help for the future - everything I am using for flying (FS, IVAO apps and Plan-G too) I am installing and starting not just as Administrator but also in compatibility with XP SP2. I have not any problems... ;)

Hash

Tim,
I got the same problem for the last 2 days. I had installed Plan G for months and was functioning properly. Just now the problem occurs.
I deleted and re download it for 3 times now but still it didn't showed up.
I attached the log file.
Appreciate your help.
Thanks

tim arnot

It's a crash, but a 460K (!!!) log file suggests it's not the same problem (i.e. Plan-G won't start)

Have you tried running ClearAllSettings?

Tim. @TimArnot

Hash

Ok let me tried as you mention,
Thanks

The_Pharoah

hi guys

I'm having the exact same problem. I tried the fix above ie. repair dotnet4 or whatever and it started up but crashed soon after. I've attached whatever log files I can find.

I'm running FSX on an E6600 2.4 o/c to 3.0, ATI 4890, win7 64 Home Premium. I'm not sure what else you need.

I used to be able to run Plan-G (which btw is an EXCELLENT piece of software - well done on this mate) on Vista but not from when I upgraded to Win7.

Thanks

The_Pharoah

just tried again without luck...it starts up fine then allows me to play for about 10 secs before crashing. Updated error log attached.