News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Click and drag flightplan editing

Started by Bruceb, August 18, 2012, 06:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruceb

How do you use the click and drag method of editing a flightplan in v3?.  As this was such an extremely useful feature of v2 I hope it is still implemented but I note that the edit button seems to be missing.

Thanks

Bruce

tim arnot

"Edit mode" Was a function of google maps, so it no longer exists. But you can still grab the waypoint markers and reposition them on the map.

Tim. @TimArnot

superhunk

Is it possible to make that create a waypoint rather than repositioning? In v2 I used to create routes by simply dragging through the valleys, it was nice.  ;D

hezza

I also miss "Edit Mode" in v3, but understand the limitations.
You can create new user waypoints by right-clicking on the map and then add them to the FP. Think that's the only way now?

/G

golfbravo

Hi Tim, hi all,

I learned from a forum member that the function edit flight plan and drag and drop no longer available Plang V3 posting here, sorry.
http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2044.0
This is unfortunate because the new system is not practical and it seems it is impossible to drag and move a user point is created, in any case I can not do it, or else point will bind on another existing point like an ISEC for example belove in picture.

I also know that the flight plan can be changed with the table, but again it is not fast.

As we say in France, "I will not make a whole cheese," I will survive this think :) :).
Cordially

Gérard Bernard

Gaiiden

Quote from: tim arnot on August 18, 2012, 07:47:42 AM
But you can still grab the waypoint markers and reposition them on the map.
Somewhat true. You can reposition them over some other marker like an intersection or airport or user waypoint, but you can't place them in an exact location of your choosing - they will always snap to the closest map marker of some sort.

I must agree the lack of free-form route planning is the one major annoyance using V3. Other than the bother of having to create each individual waypoint rather than simply dragging the route line around, my main concern is the fact that I'm bloating my user waypoint database with a lot of waypoints specific to just a single flight route.

tim arnot

Quote from: Gaiiden on September 09, 2012, 10:26:31 AM
Quote from: tim arnot on August 18, 2012, 07:47:42 AM
But you can still grab the waypoint markers and reposition them on the map.
Somewhat true. You can reposition them over some other marker like an intersection or airport or user waypoint, but you can't place them in an exact location of your choosing - they will always snap to the closest map marker of some sort.

Sorry, I'm unable to reproduce that particular problem. The waypoints always stay exactly where I put them.

QuoteI must agree the lack of free-form route planning is the one major annoyance using V3. Other than the bother of having to create each individual waypoint rather than simply dragging the route line around, my main concern is the fact that I'm bloating my user waypoint database with a lot of waypoints specific to just a single flight route.

Have you played with build 49? You can arbitarily right-click anywhere on the map to add a temporary waypoint. And if an existing waypoint is selected in the plan grid, you can insert them before/after it too.

Tim. @TimArnot

golfbravo

Hi,

Same problem with build 49, in all cases the point I want to move consistently ranks over an existing waypoint in the database as an ISEC, ISEC no name, VOR, NDB etc...

Thanks

Gérard Bernard

Gaiiden

Quote from: tim arnot on September 10, 2012, 10:10:14 AM
Have you played with build 49? You can arbitarily right-click anywhere on the map to add a temporary waypoint. And if an existing waypoint is selected in the plan grid, you can insert them before/after it too.

Hi Tim, sorry haven't thought to check back on this thread until now. I downloaded build 50 and thank you very much for addressing these concerns! Glad to be able to place a waypoint without adding it to my database then drag it where I please.

However as golfbravo stated earlier there is still an issue with waypoints choosing to lock on to stuff like airports and intersections if you happen to place them close enough (and unless I have them all enabled to display on the map I won't know until I drag a waypoint somewhere and it comes up named for a map object rather than the generic "wpt#"). It would be nice to be able to switch this ability off.

tim arnot

Yes you need to be within a mile for it to snap. I can look at adding a toggle though.

Tim. @TimArnot

golfbravo

Quote from: Gaiiden on September 25, 2012, 03:12:03 AM
Quote from: tim arnot on September 10, 2012, 10:10:14 AM

Hi Tim, sorry haven't thought to check back on this thread until now. I downloaded build 50 and thank you very much for addressing these concerns! Glad to be able to place a waypoint without adding it to my database then drag it where I please.

However as golfbravo stated earlier there is still an issue with waypoints choosing to lock on to stuff like airports and intersections if you happen to place them close enough (and unless I have them all enabled to display on the map I won't know until I drag a waypoint somewhere and it comes up named for a map object rather than the generic "wpt#"). It would be nice to be able to switch this ability off.

Quote from: tim arnot on September 25, 2012, 09:28:54 AM
Yes you need to be within a mile for it to snap. I can look at adding a toggle though.

Hi,

For me in Build50 all is fine.
Gaiiden, maybe you choose "Create User Waypoint"  instead "Add  the waypoint in the flight plan" ??

Regards

Gérard Bernard

Gaiiden

It has nothing to do with creating a waypoint - that process is fine now.

I don't mind the ability to snap to stuff like intersections and such which is why I say have a toggle rather than get rid of it entirely. My main issue is that to prevent the waypoint from snapping (and being renamed in the process, another inconvenience if I've already renamed it) I have to make everything visible on the map other wise I won't know an intersection is there when I go to drop a waypoint. And rendering everything slows things down and just clutters the view

ribitt

I do my editing in V2, then switch to V3 for flying. I guess this work-around won't last forever though.

Ribitt

drmckee

Just wondering, after reading these posts about the missing "Edit" functionality and other limitations in the newest version,
instead of trying to configure V3 to act like V2, why not just stay with V2.  Did V2 have limitations that V3 addresses? Does V3
offer some remarkable improvement to you at any level?

Version 2 works well for me when I choose to use it.  Version 3...not so well, since I liked the features and information pane in
V2 rather than the pop-up windows of V3.  I tried to resize the map window and drag the information and plan pop-ups to the
right side panel, which worked okay to replicate V2. But then there I was trying to remold V3 to look and act like V2.  I went
completely back to V2, which is well written and very functional.

I believe if I was a new simmer and had only seen V3, I likely would have been happy. But having used V2, I find V3 just does
not meet my desires.
Danny

sky one

Quote from: drmckee on September 30, 2012, 05:43:10 PM
Did V2 have limitations that V3 addresses? Does V3 offer some remarkable improvement to you at any level?
Yep: V2 doesn't work with X-Plane, V3 does.  :)

Ciao
Cristiano
X-plane user