News:

Main Menu

Network?

Started by tronso, September 01, 2009, 08:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tronso

Hi, can Plan-B be running on another PC over LAN?

I tried, but i got a "Could not load file or assembly etc simconnect etc

I can get it to run locally though

Thanks,
T

Rick_Y

I was just about to ask a similar question.  I have been able to get Plan-G to run over a network only when the remote computer has FSX installed (but not running).  When I tried with a remote computer that has only the Simconnect tools installed (from RTM, SP1, and SP2/Acc SDKs), the Connect option is grayed out as if Plan-G is looking for something that is part of a complete FSX install??  There may be a way to fool it into thinking that FSX is there?  I used the files from an FSX-machine after the database had been created.

Rick

tim arnot

Yes you can run across a network. You will need to install the SimConnect client from the SDK onto the client PC (ie the PC running Plan-G). On my PC, the simconnect client installer is at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib

Once you've run the installer, there are two config files to set up. SimConnect.cfg is on the client, and goes in the same folder as your app (ie, Plan-G), and SimConnect.xml goes on the FSX PC in the same place as fsx.cfg. You'll find unconfigured copies of these files in SimConnect SDK\Config.

Probably the best docimentation for setting up the configs is on the Active Sky web site: http://was.hifisim.com/ASXDocumentation/networkedconfig.html

Tim. @TimArnot

Rick_Y

Thanks, Tim.  Appreciate the quick response.  I have all that in place and it is working for another Simconnect application but the Connect option in Plan-G is still greyed-out and unavailable for connection, it appears.  The log simply stops at the point of displaying the default map location.

I have installed all three versions of the Simconnect SDK.

Thanks for the help and for the nice application, although I favor keeping the user aircraft centered on the moving map display.

Rick

tim arnot

Do you have the simconnect.cfg in the application folder, or 'My Documents'? Although the documentation recommends putting it in My Documents, I've found that not to be reliable, and placing it in the app folder is much better (although it does require a separate copy for each app).

Tim. @TimArnot

Rick_Y

My Simconnect.cfg file is in the app folder and is a duplicate of the one for the other app that seems to be working as it should.  This seems to be just one of those Simconnect mysteries....  I apologize to the OP for apparently hijacking his thread.  Perhaps he can share his experience when he gets it working, or not.

Edit:  I just noticed that the option to create or update the database is also greyed-out.  I wonder if Plan-G is still looking for an FSX install along the way even though the database was created on another computer with FSX installed?  Do I need to point Plan-G to a Network share with FSX maybe?

Rick

Rick_Y

Quote from: Rick_Y on September 01, 2009, 11:14:07 PM
Edit:  I just noticed that the option to create or update the database is also greyed-out.  I wonder if Plan-G is still looking for an FSX install along the way even though the database was created on another computer with FSX installed?  Do I need to point Plan-G to a Network share with FSX maybe?

Yep.  That's it!!  Seems Plan-G needs FSX, or at least a path to FSX in the Registry.  I inserted a path to an empty FSX folder into the Registry using FSXRegUtility and Plan-G connected very nicely.

Rick

tim arnot

You can specify a path to FSX in the Locations tab of the Options dialog (saves messing with the registry). Sorry I'd forgotten about that requirement.  :-[

Tim. @TimArnot

roddymod

I am having  problems running Plan_G across my network.
The connect to FSX button is active but when I click on it I get a pop up window  "Cannot connect to SimConnect (Is FSX running/)

Rod.

tim arnot

Are your Lan IP addresses assigned by DHCP? Is it possible that they have been reassigned between setting up the cfg files and now? Most DHCP routers will allow you to reserve IP addresses, so that particular PCs always get the same address.

The second thing to check is that the port number you assigned in the cfg files is not blocked by a firewall on one or other PC.

Finally, it's worth double checking that both the simconnect.xml and simconnect.cfg refer to

• The same protocol (e.g. IPv4)
  • The same IP address (that of the FSX pc. e.g. 192.168.0.3)
  • The same port number

Tim. @TimArnot

roddymod

OK Tim , sorted.
I think you may have been right about the dynamic IP address. I hace changed the configs to use computer name instead and everything now works fine.

Rod.

tronso

Loads of good info here, cheers guys!

I decided to wipe out and install Win7 RC on the client PC (had some annoying issues on it) , I'll report back when its up and running and i can try Plan G again

-T

tronso

No luck yet!

I've installed simconnect on the client and followed the directions on the ASX-site, and also pointed to fsx in plan g's options.
When i click connect northing happens, and this is what the logfile looks like (the last entries related to the connection):

21:32:38 Connect button clicked
21:32:38 Testing mFSConnect.IsConnected
21:32:38 RibbonButton_Click_ConnectFS exceptionSystem.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect, Version=10.0.60905.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect, Version=10.0.60905.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
   at Plan_G.FSConnect.get_IsConnected()
   at Plan_G.Window1.RibbonButton_Click_ConnectFS(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

Any suggestions?

thanks,
T

tim arnot

I've been making enquiries on behalf of other people, and from the suggestions coming back, it's not good. It looks like it may take a repair of FSX to fix it (SimConnect it seems is rather fragile), although it might also be possible to delete the winsxs entries for simconnect and just run the SDK legacy installers. But if you have Vista or Win 7 that is actually quite difficult due to the user rights protections. The repair option is more straightforward, but still a right PITA.  :(

Tim. @TimArnot

roddymod

Hi,

Because of the way the service packs operate, a repair of FSX is not recommended. It could cause more problems than it fixes.

:o

Rod.