News:

Main Menu

MS dial home crash with Plan-G 0.8.0

Started by mhl, November 16, 2009, 03:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhl

I was hoping to try Plan-G v0.8.0 across my network to my FSX machine.  Unfortunately it won't even open and gives a Microsoft dial home error.  The same download of Plan-G installed on my FSX PC seems to run OK - well, at least it opens and allows me to compile the database: haven't had time to fly with it yet.

Any suggestions why Plan-G should crash on launching from my laptop?  Both it and my FS machine run XP SP3.

tim arnot

Have you installed DotNet3.5 SP1 on the laptop?

Is there any further information in the Plan-G logfile? (Plan-G_Log.txt)

Tim. @TimArnot

mhl

Tim

Thanks for speedy reply.  I was just checking on .NET version installed on the laptop and it is an earlier version than the required 3.5 SP1 - ooops, sorry.  The other PCs on my network are running 3.5 SP1, and I thought I had updated all of them.  Am currently installing the correct version and hopefully this will do the trick.  A warning that the correct version of .NET is missing, instead of the unhelpful standard MS 'dial home', would have prevented me making a prat of myself ... :-[

TangoEcho

Quote "This software requires DotNet 3.5 SP1 to run. See the readme for further details.
Windows 7 users: Note that DotNet 3.5sp1 is already installed as part of your operating system."

This is clearly stated at the download instructions.

Tom

mhl

Tom

I did read the download and installation instructions.  As stated above, I was under the impression that my laptop already had the correct version of .NET installed, in common with my other PCs.  When I ran into the problem described, I fired off my request to the forum, then thought to check the .NET version installed.  Tim's response appeared just as I realised my mistake.  I have acknowledged my carelessness already: having you gratuitously rub my nose in it is not a great welcome for a newcomer.

RuthMcT

I'd also add that many less techy users won't have the foggiest idea what DotNet 3.5 SP1 is, let alone whether they've got it installed.  I found out that I'd got it by looking in the "add/remove programs facility" - maybe something for a FAQ in the user manual?

Tim, is there any way Plan-G could detect which version of .net the user has?

Ruth

tim arnot

I was thinking about that...

Problem is, you can't have it inside Plan-G, because if it's not installed, it simply won't run (I guess that's a detector in its own right...    :-\) So you'd have to put it into a custom installer, which would mean having a custom installer, and I rather don't want to do that (you'd lose the simplicity of just unzip and run)

The FTX guys had a detector of some sort in their scenery installer. But that rather blew up under Win7 non-English and they had to take it out. So it has its own risks too.

Tim. @TimArnot