News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Small Suggestion For Future Version

Started by Gendo, October 16, 2012, 05:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gendo

Since my Goodway v4.2.0 flight planner refuses to work with X-Plane 10 (fails to revert back to working properly with v9.70 now), I started searching around for a replacement, and came across Plan-G v3.  Since the makers of Goodway are acting entirely clueless as to why it won't revert back, I'm using Plan-G now.

While I think it's a great program (love being able to see elevation data), I would suggest one thing to incorporate at some point for us X-Plane users. 

1. Add in the High (Jet) Airways as an option to check/uncheck like the Low (Victor) Airways. Maybe this is on the wishlist for FSX/FS9 users as well?

I forget why exactly now, but I never used the Goodway plugin with X-Plane anyways (conflicts with the X-IVAP flightserver plug-in?) so if those two things were added in, it's a perfect replacement for Goodway for all of my flight planning purposes.

p.s. With build 50, it initially wasn't displaying the ISEC intersection database, but for some reason going back and clicking on the "Display X-Plane 9/10 Nav Data" button solved it.  Sometimes things disappear for no apparent reason, and I have to go uncheck and recheck Map Overlays.  Also, maybe build 50 is still glitchy with reading the METAR file because it wasn't initially. Just minor things really.

Gendo

I came up with another minor suggestion for a future version.

Maybe add a button that halts the constant recomputing of the elevation cross section from the DEM files while constructing a plan.  I notice while building longer flight plans (>500nm) that the pauses after adding or deleting a wayoint become pretty long. I think it would be better to be able to keep it from crunching through the DEM files for building that elevation cross section until I've finished deciding what path to take.

tim arnot

To be fair, what you are asking is outside the normal bounds for the program, since it is a VFR flight planner, and upper airways are most definitely not available to VFR flights, and even flights >500nm are the exception rather than the rule.

Tim. @TimArnot

birdmanmike

Part minor suggestion, part query.  Tim, is it me but having just started using v3 (50) it seems less sharp to my tired old eyes, I keep thinking I've left my glasses off.  Guess some of it comes from the mapping but also things like range circles, airspace boundaries are thicker and slightly fuzzy?  Also, the font.  when your eyes are not as good, you need something like Arial the menus with the new font not as clear  (to me).  Can it be a setting or in ..ini or something.  Know its a bit picky but otherwise no problems.  I see there is some hint of terrain in the mapquest as wll by the way!

Cheers, Mike

tim arnot

You can change the font in the config. :)

Tim. @TimArnot

birdmanmike

tim arnot

The reason I used it was so I could spot any text that hasn't gone through the localisation process, and so it had to stand out. Unfortunately (for some ;)) I got used to it and forgot to change it to something more normal for the release. But it's not worth beating a bunny over, IMHO.

Tim. @TimArnot

cattz

Any chance you could add AI boat traffic ? - just for those of us who fly around the coast ;D (btw I like the default font :D)

jank1

Take a look at this great work of Mr Henrik Nielsen.
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=ships&CatID=root&Go=Search

He has made a great effort in making ai shipsroutes to the simmers. In TrafficTools ther is  an option to view/hide other types of traffic, but not where they are at the moment.
Any plans for a similar option in PlanG to display the ships positions?

Please
Jan

marc2990

Since I started flying around in the RTMM area, ship spotting became a very nice activity. It brought me indeed also to download the AI shipping packages of Henrik Nielsen. Hundreds of high quality ships with thousands of destinations. An unbelievable job. It is only a shame that they are so difficult to spot. You would have to go down to the traffic files to find where they are. Positioning them graphically on a map like the AI planes would be a great thing.
Any chance you could create such a thing?
Cheers
Marcel

spokes2112

Whether or not Tim implements this here's another way to get ship traffic bogeys.

Traffic Toolbox (installed from the SDK) will show ship traffic. Open up the map window, Use A - "Toggle show only aircraft" & G - "Show/Hide aircraft on ground"