News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

How do you get around the "flat world"? (world stops to the left of Hawaii)?

Started by LMF5000, November 13, 2012, 02:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMF5000

I'm trying to plan a trip from Europe to Hawaii in a GA aircraft with a range of just 1000nm, so I must approach hawaii from the small islands on Australia's side of the world, as opposed to approaching from the USA side. The problem is that the map is stops between Kiribati (extreme left in Plan-G) and the Marshall Islands (extreme right). Basically what I'm trying to say is that the program only considers paths on the "front" of the earth but not on the back.

Let me illustrate. Say you have a flight from New Zealand to Chile. The shortest route is to go East, across the pacific ocean. However Plan-G draws a line going West, which is the longer route - it crosses Australia, Africa and the Atlantic Ocean. Is there any way to make the world "round" and enable correct rendering of routes that cross 180 degrees longitude?

If that is not possible, then I have another request that could still help me - is there any way to make a 1000nm range ring drawn from an airport close the left edge (for example NFTF) continue on the right edge? As it is, the range ring just gets flattened at the edge and I have to figure out a way to draw the equivalent ring on the right-hand-side of the map.

tim arnot

Unfortunately it's a limitation of the map container control. The developer has been promising to fix it for well over a year, but when/if that'll happen is anybody's guess.

Tim. @TimArnot