News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

SimConnect vs FSUIPC

Started by aeugli, November 20, 2009, 11:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeugli

Hallo tim_A, thanks for your short reply in the ORBX-Forum; I fully understand, I should have posted my question here in the forum, take my apologize.
Just now the same questions:

Hallo tim_A,
thanks for your phantastic Plan G; it´s phantastic work and is functioning in the same way!
Nevertheless, a few questions came up after reading your user manual (BTW good work too).
Should I install FSX SDK (I haven´t done it yet) to use FSX SimConnect for Plan G? You figure out in your manual, that would be the best and fastest way for FSX.
At the moment Plan G is connected over FSUIPC and eyerything is functioning well, so far I´ve tried/used it. I´m running FSX and Plan G on the same machine!
If "yes" I should better use SimConnect, where has FSX-SDK respective SimConnect to reside to function well with Plan G? I assume that way ....\Programs\Microsoft Games\SDK
Or should I leave Plan G as it is and stay connected with FSUIPC?
Every hint of you (or other cracks) would be much appreciate Cheesy
Thanks for your answer
Cheers Rainer/aeugli

BTW the link offered in your manual www.fsinsider.com/developers/Pages/AboutSimConnect.aspx is/seems to be broken! (Doesn´t work for me)

aeugli

Hallo Tim,
I´ve read in the "FAQ" the first one: I get an error "Could not find file or assembly 'Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect, version 10.0.60905.0' or one of its dependencies. Help!
So I know I have to delete the first mentioned file.
But to go further and to run the necessary yyxx.msi file I´ve to install the SDK anyway (I´ve the Deluxe edition of FSX with acceleration) - but you say "not necessary". That´s my state of information. Just to let you know.
Cheers Rainer/aeugli

tim arnot

Are you sure you are running Plan-G version 0.8.1? It will say on the splash screen when you run it. That error was eliminated some time ago (it does not need  the SimConnect client because it is now built-in to Plan-G)

Tim. @TimArnot

jschall

Quote from: aeugli on November 20, 2009, 11:19:46 AM
BTW the link offered in your manual www.fsinsider.com/developers/Pages/AboutSimConnect.aspx is/seems to be broken! (Doesn´t work for me)
Doesn't work for me anymore, either. I found the same page over here, though:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/esp/cc835021.aspx

- and I will update the manual.

I use FSUIPC4 with FSX, I have found Plan-G works just fine that way. I was unable to get SimConnect to work across my network to Plan-G on my laptop PC, so I gave up. I hope you have better luck, Rainer!

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
FSX SP2, Windows 7, AMD FX-62, Nvidia GTX550ti

aeugli

Hi Tim, thanks for your answer; I´m running Plan-G v 0.8.1.388, downloaded a few days ago.
Ok, if Plan-G doesn´t need SimConnect, cause it´s built-in to Plan-G (you mentioned it in your manual), I think everything is allright.
Just to your information, if I try to change the (default) connection in the general options-tab from Auto to SimConnect, I get the error-message: Unable to connect to FS (Is FS running?). If you are using FS9 etc, etc..
I think, it´s just an old message (SimConnect would be the best and fastest way for FSX to communicate with Plan-G; example on page 33 bottom Point 9.2). in the user manual, concerning the former versions of Plan-G.
Cheers Rainer

@Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks for your kindly wishes and the working link, I will take a look later on it.
I´m also using FSIPC4, the most present version, and as for you, it´s working fine and perfect (thanks to Tim). I will stay with that, I just thought, using SimConnect directly, would speed up Plan-G a little bit, as mentioned in the user manual.
Cheers Rainer

Allways blue skies for you both

tim arnot

You could try setting the SimConnect connection type to IPv4 - that seems to be more reliable than the default (which is Named Pipe). You'll need to set the IP address and port number according to the instructions in the manual though.

Tim. @TimArnot

charlest

Tim,
Have a suggestion here for folks like myself who have FS9 and FSX installed.
It is all working fine, but it currently seems (with Plan-G 0.1.8.389) that setting the "FS Connection" mode to Auto, it only thinks I have FSX selected, even if I have FS9 selected.

So in order to connect to FS9 if I have Auto selected (say having previously used FSX), I have to go to the FS Connection tab and set the mode to FSUIPC, as if the connection part of the app thinks it is still in FSX mode.

Given that FS9 does not have SimConnect I would have expected Auto to mean that when in FS9 mode it would only use FSUIPC, but when in FSX mode it would try SimConnect and fallback to FSUIPC.

Just a thought. Hope that lot makes some sort of sense.
Charles
UKVGA+CIXVFR