News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Import kmz into Plan G

Started by megs8888, March 29, 2013, 09:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

megs8888

Hi guys just got a couple of kmz files to display rtmm sites etc how do I import to plan g please, I've opened them in google earth ok just can't seem to open them in plan g. Thanks Wayne.

tim arnot

Click on the KML/KMZ button and navigate to the file. Simple as that.

Tim. @TimArnot

Kronzky

This seems to work with some KML files, but not with all of them.
If I, for example, download a KML file from FS-Duenna (e.g. this one - download from options on the right), Plan-G seems to import it, but nothing is displayed.

It looks like I have to make the following changes, in order for it to be shown:

Replace
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
with
<kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2">

And Change
<Style id="tlffStyle"><LineStyle><width>4</width></LineStyle><PolyStyle><color>7dff0000</color></PolyStyle></Style>
to
<Style id="tlffStyle"><LineStyle><width>4</width><color>7dff0000</color></LineStyle></Style>   

It would be nice if Plan-G could accept these types of files without them having to be edited manually.

PhillyPennPilot

Has there been any progress in making Plan-G import kmz files better?  I find that it's very glitchy.  Some work, other don't.  Also it seems that any lines in the original format are turned into polygons.  :-/  Thanks.
HP Pavilion p7-1446 / Windows 8.1 (64bit) / AMD A10-5700 @ 3.4 GHz / 8 GB DDR3
Radeon R7-260x / 2 GB / DDR5 @ 1600 MHz
2 x 24" LCD monitors / 1920x1080
Orbx FTX Global Base / Orbx FTX Vector / Orbx NA Regions / REX Essential Plus / My Traffic X

tim arnot

no. The KML is handled by a 3rd party library - I'm reliant on them to update it.

Tim. @TimArnot

PhillyPennPilot

That's a shame.  This (for me at least) is pretty much the only thing I'm not loving about Plan-G.  Otherwise it's brilliant.  :)

One suggestion since it seems the kmz thing probably won't change anytime soon.  Is there any chance you could allow users to add their own icons for user way points -- or maybe just offer a few more icons in the library for us to choose from?  Also, ditto for making lines & polygons?  (Basically I'm wondering is we can have some Google Earth-esque features within Plan G.)

Thanks!
Orbx FTX Global Base / Orbx FTX Vector / Orbx NA Regions / REX Essential Plus / My Traffic X

tim arnot

Not in 1.3.1 - it's already very late, but I'll certainly consider it for down the line.

Tim. @TimArnot

PhillyPennPilot

Ok, well thanks for the consideration. Cheers.

PhillyPennPilot

Quote from: Kronzky on April 14, 2013, 01:13:42 AM
This seems to work with some KML files, but not with all of them.
If I, for example, download a KML file from FS-Duenna (e.g. this one - download from options on the right), Plan-G seems to import it, but nothing is displayed.

It looks like I have to make the following changes, in order for it to be shown:

Replace
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
with
<kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2">

And Change
<Style id="tlffStyle"><LineStyle><width>4</width></LineStyle><PolyStyle><color>7dff0000</color></PolyStyle></Style>
to
<Style id="tlffStyle"><LineStyle><width>4</width><color>7dff0000</color></LineStyle></Style>   

It would be nice if Plan-G could accept these types of files without them having to be edited manually.

Hey Kronzky (or anyone who has figured out a way to make KML files display in Plan-G):

I'd reeeeeaally like to overlay this map (see the KML file below) of airports I fly into regularly when I plan my routes.  I created this in Google Earth, and there should be 202 airports on here.  Each placemark is a simple airplane icon that comes standard with GE and has one line of description in the text box. It's very straightforward and it displays fine in GE, but for some reason only shows about 10-15 airports when opened via Plan-G.  I can't figure out why though -- there's no rhyme or reason as to which ones are appearing.I tried your fix, Kronzky, but since this KML doesn't have any lines, it doesn't really apply here.  Anyone else have any suggestions?  Thanks.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39814365/FTX%20-%20Freeware%20NA%20Airports.kmz

tim arnot

I'll trace it through and see if I can spot what's happening.

Tim. @TimArnot

PhillyPennPilot

Quote from: tim arnot on July 31, 2014, 03:17:17 PM
Thanks, this would be a major plus for PG, imo.  I'm pretty heavily invested in Google Earth and Google Maps for airports and points of interest.  (I'm an Orbx user, and their regions all come with pretty nice KML files.)  I know we can assign user waypoints in PG, but I already have lots of nice maps ... not to mention finding the exact locations of the many airports & poi's in PG would be a major pain.  Thanks!

PhillyPennPilot

Quote from: tim arnot on July 31, 2014, 03:17:17 PM

Oh shoot -- I messed up and gave you a link to the KMV I created for the folks at Orbx.  I'm pretty sure PG doesn't support that format, so here's the link to the KML file which includes the same 202 airports.  Cheers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39814365/FTX%20-%20Freeware%20NA%20Airports.kml

tim arnot

Okay, the KML is using MultiGeometery, which Plan-G doesn't support at this time. I'll add it to the list for the next release.

Tim. @TimArnot

PhillyPennPilot

Do you know if that's something I can modify or disable in Google Earth before I export the file?  I originally created that KML file by first importing a Google Map KML (one that PG didn't read at all), and then having GE export another KML.  I didn't think it had anything other than simple, flat placemarks in it.  Hmmm.    Let me know if there's a workaround I can do in the meantime on my end.  Thanks!

tim arnot

Looking at the file, the multigeometries contain the marker and a boundary circle. So I guess, whatever you did to include the boundary... don't do it. (sorry that's not particularly helpful, but I don't really know my way around the kml side of Google Earth).

Tim. @TimArnot