News:

Main Menu

Import kmz into Plan G

Started by megs8888, March 29, 2013, 09:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPennPilot

Gosh, I can't think of anything I did that would create either multigeography or boundary circles -- but then again I don't really know what those are.

Like I mentioned, it was a map I made in Google Maps (one that I update every time Orbx comes out with a new airport).  I exported that to a KML file, which for some reason PG couldn't read at all.  So I then imported that into GE, then simply exported it again into KML which results in the file I linked to above.  It's one basic map with default placemarks.  Nothing too fancy. Well, if you or anyone else knows of a good workaround, I'm all ears.  :(

Fyi, I suppose a sort of laborious workaround would be to pick out the airports one by one in PG, right click on them, and hit Create User Waypoint.  But apparently you can't do this over an airport.  Perhaps this is something you guys could implement in a future build?  I'd really like to be able have placemarks, or waypoints, or whatever, that would allow me to see custom landmarks I create myself.  Whether that's through a working KML import or a custom user waypoint that can also be airports, it would really matter.  Thanks.
HP Pavilion p7-1446 / Windows 8.1 (64bit) / AMD A10-5700 @ 3.4 GHz / 8 GB DDR3
Radeon R7-260x / 2 GB / DDR5 @ 1600 MHz
2 x 24" LCD monitors / 1920x1080
Orbx FTX Global Base / Orbx FTX Vector / Orbx NA Regions / REX Essential Plus / My Traffic X

PhillyPennPilot

Don't mean to be a pest here, but I figured I'd check back about this after having tried one other thing:  This time I took a simple, one-layered map from a custom google map, exported it as a KML file, and tried using that with PG.  (Basically I didn't use Google Earth to change anything so the placemarks should, in theory, be pretty unadulterated.) Still no success.  :-/

Can anyone confirm that this feature does in fact work with KML files that have multiple points? ... and if so, could you post an example and tell me how you made it?  This is really bugging me.

Thanks!
Orbx FTX Global Base / Orbx FTX Vector / Orbx NA Regions / REX Essential Plus / My Traffic X

ivanrk

Hi

I am not sure I fully understand your question.  When I put either of the two files into PG this is what I get.  It certainly looks like it is showing the full number of airports.  Can you please explain the problem in more detail so I can have a play around.

Ivan

tim arnot

Ivan, if you imported the kml using the test build from the other thread, there's a part-implemented fix in it, so you'll see all the points.

Tim. @TimArnot

ivanrk

Hi Tim

Yes, I confirm I am still using the test build you sent me.  Makes more sense now.  Thank you.

Ivan

PhillyPennPilot

Quote from: ivanrk on August 20, 2014, 07:57:46 AMI am not sure I fully understand your question.  When I put either of the two files into PG this is what I get.  It certainly looks like it is showing the full number of airports.  Can you please explain the problem in more detail so I can have a play around.
Oh man, I wish that's what it looked like for me.  When I import either file (or just about any kml file for that matter) there are no points displayed on the map.
Quote from: tim arnot on August 20, 2014, 08:54:56 AM
Ivan, if you imported the kml using the test build from the other thread, there's a part-implemented fix in it, so you'll see all the points.
There's a fix for this?  I'm using v 3.1.1.94.  This is the one on the TAS homepage (http://www.tasoftware.co.uk). Where's the other version?  Thanks!

ivanrk

Hi

The file I have is a beta version I got from Tim to see if it fixed a problem I was having in a different area.  It apparently had some other beta fixes in it including a partial fix for your problem.  I wasn't aware of that.  Anyway the good news is Tim will be releasing another version soon which will incorporate all these fixes to-date in it.  If you cannot wait and need the beta version I would suggest you ask Tim if he will provide it to you on the understanding it is a beta version.  It does however seem to fix the problem you were reporting.  This is why I couldn't understand your query.

Hope I'm not speaking out of order here Tim.

Cheers
Ivan

tim arnot

The link to it is in one of the other threads, actually several of the threads. Hang on...

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2870.15

It's just a test executable, not warranted for anything, and it fills the log file with all sorts of crap. So use at your own risk.

Tim. @TimArnot

PhillyPennPilot

Cool.  I'll proceed with caution ... but I'm happy to as this feature will be really nice to get working with my particular setup & flying style.  Cheers!  :)

tim arnot

Also bear in mind that the KML patch is incomplete, so while it might work with this file, it might not work with another (in which case, I'd ask you to pass it along... ;))

Tim. @TimArnot

jcanos

Spanish: Efectivamente, con un editor XML, eliminando las etiquetas "polystyle" y cambiando la URL, como dice Kronzki, los archivos KML funcionan.

Uso Blackbox, que genera KMLs que no funcionan en Plan-G porque no usa poligonos, pero cambiando el archivo "KMLsettings.txt" de blackbox con las modificaciones comentadas, los KML que genera funcionan !! :).

English: Ok, with a XML editor, deleting the labels "polystyle", and changing the URL, as Kronzki comments, the KML files works.

I use Blackbox, this program generates KMLs that not works in Plan-G, because  Plan-G not uses polygons, but by changing the settings in the archive "kmlsettings.txt" of Blackbox with the commented above, this generated KML works !! :)

tim arnot

As I said above, if you have a KML that doesn't open, please attach it and I'll try to fix.

Tim. @TimArnot

jcanos

Quote from: tim arnot on September 01, 2014, 03:27:12 PM
As I said above, if you have a KML that doesn't open, please attach it and I'll try to fix.

Ok, this are two KML files:

Flightlog original.txt is the KML file that Blackbox generates, and not work at all in Plan-G

Flightlog modified.txt is the KML file with the modifications commented above, and works (partially, but works).

I can't attach these files with the extension "KML", I have renamed to "TXT". In order to work, rename back to "KML".... sorry.

Blackbox+Plan-G is a very suitable solution to analize VFR flights. I hope you fix them... :c017:

tim arnot

Ta. I'll have a look as soon as I get in front of a PC.

Tim. @TimArnot