News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Newbe here to Plan-G

Started by Captn Don, April 25, 2013, 02:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captn Don

For weeks I have been looking for a good flight plan program and by chance stumbled onto Plan-G. I have been reading posts and looking around on the forums and have some of my questions already answered but have a few I haven't found yet - I have not downloaded Plan-G yet which is why I am asking to be sure I know what I am doing before I start which is really the question  :)

First, what all do I need to do? What do I really need to download and why? EXAMPLE, I read about XPUIPC. Do I need to download that and why? Okay, once I've downloaded all I need, what do I do with it to get it to work? (maybe there is a manual I should read before I start; if there is, I haven't found it yet and I will keep looking.) Finally, does Plan-G integrate with the on-board FMC or FMS? How about Javier Cortés' UFMC?

Thanks, sorry for my stupidity but being a newbe here I guess it is to be expected somewhat.

Thanks, Don

basil hancock

Best advice.

Download and install the programe.  There is a comprehensive and well written manual which comes with the download and will be placed in the directory where you install plan g.

Give it a try.  I am sure you will be amazed at how much you can do with it. 

tim arnot

What sim are you sining it with? XPUIPC is only useful if you are using X-Plane.

Tim. @TimArnot

sky one

Hello Don,

you're talking about XPUIPC, FMS and UFMC, so I assume you use X-plane, I'm right? Plan-G has the feature to show the instrument panel and the radio panel and to interact, from these panels inside Plan-G, with the simulator (i.e. if you change the NAV1 frequency on the Plan-G panel, the same frequency is changed in X-Plane): this is done via XPUIPC. You can think to Plan-G as a planner, a real-time GPS and an extra instruments/radios/etc. panel, but Plan-G is not an FMC (or FMGC in Airbus environment) and I don't think it could interface with UFMC. About FMS, you can create your FP, export it in the FMS format and import in X-Plane.

Follow the Basil's advice: the manual has even a section for "I don't have enough time to read the entire manual" people, that could be a good start fo a newbie.

Ciao
Cristiano
X-plane user

defreitj

Quote from: Captn Don on April 25, 2013, 02:34:51 PM
For weeks I have been looking for a good flight plan program and by chance stumbled onto Plan-G. I have been reading posts and looking around on the forums and have some of my questions already answered but have a few I haven't found yet - I have not downloaded Plan-G yet which is why I am asking to be sure I know what I am doing before I start which is really the question  :)

First, what all do I need to do? What do I really need to download and why? EXAMPLE, I read about XPUIPC. Do I need to download that and why? Okay, once I've downloaded all I need, what do I do with it to get it to work? (maybe there is a manual I should read before I start; if there is, I haven't found it yet and I will keep looking.) Finally, does Plan-G integrate with the on-board FMC or FMS? How about Javier Cortés' UFMC?

Thanks, sorry for my stupidity but being a newbe here I guess it is to be expected somewhat.

Thanks, Don

Hi Don,
Install Plan-G to the root. (C:\>) Most definitely you do not need FSUIPC "free"  or a registered copy. Use the SimConnect connection which IS faster. Edit the XML file carefully. Use the port #4506. Make sure you input your ip address carefully. Use " local Host"  if you are running Plan-G and FSX on the same machine. Otherwise, if running over a home network, make sure that you specify the ip address of the machine that is FSX. In Plan-G, specify the ip address of the FSX machine in the " Options"  " FS Connection" Select SimConnect and IPver4. Input the ip address of the machine which runs FSX, here. Also, input port #4506. Verify all parameters, then cold boot both machines and enjoy Plan-G. If you are running server 2003 or other, remember to share the appropriate folders and have full control permissions at the root of the machines. You've never seen anything like it and maybe not for another twenty years! Read the Plan-G manual, first. From beginning to the end. There are 128 pages. (I read it several times already) By the time you are done you will be helping others who overlook the necessity to read completely and appreciate the beauty and complexity of this software. (Oh, I forgot; I "killed" 300 people and my co-pilot today because I could not get VFR /GPS sorted, out-my first attempt) You will enjoy the program. Run it with FSPassengerX!