News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Printing a blank page

Started by BobK, May 23, 2013, 12:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobK

When I attempt to print a flight plan from my desktop machine all I get is a blank page with only the light grey background printed on it.  Printing the flight plan from my laptop to the same printer works fine.  Might this be some sort of font problem or something?

tim arnot

Look at the temp.xps file outside of Plan-G, then see if it'll print from XpsViewer.

Tim. @TimArnot

BobK

Where is temp.xps, and what/where is XpsViewer?  I searched for both and found neither.

spokes2112

Bob,

XPS viewer is a "PDF style" viewer that comes with windows (> XP) or with XP and at least .NET framework 3.0 or higher installed. I believe Plan-G uses that format to make a temporary XPS file so it's available for printing. Information regarding the XPS viewer can be found here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/what-is-the-xps-viewer

It sounds like the desktop machine may have that program service turned off.. In WIN7 it looks like this -

BobK

Okay, thanks for the reply.  As it turns out, I already had those XPS features checked, and after a bit of stumbling around discovered how to launch XPS Viewer.  Now, where is this temp.xps file located?  As I mentioned I searched my system for it and it didn't find it, I also looked specifically in My Documents\Plan G Files which seemed like the most likely place to find it, no luck.

spokes2112

Just tested, Plan-G creates the temp.xps in  My Documents\Plan-G Files only after going to the print window of Plan-G and then only after selecting either print plan or print current map. It gets deleted the next time going to the main print window of Plan-g until print map or print current map is selected, then gets recreated.

From that temp.xps, once created you should be able to open it with XPS viewer and/or print it from there (Just a test) . If not maybe try unselecting the xps sevices in Windows features, let it do its work then, reselect the xps services and let it do its work again. Maybe there is something wrong with the xps services in windows, doing the above should resolve it.

Roman

BobK

Thanks, spokes2112, for your assistance in this!

Okay.  I loaded and printed a flight plan, again getting the blank page.  This time I found the temp.xps file and opened it with XPS Viewer, which displayed the flight plan.  Printing from within XPS Viewer worked; I can print via the printer or I can print the plan to a PDS file via Bullzip PDF Printer.  So, how can I print directly from Plan-G?

I'm running build 3.0.4.59 under 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

spokes2112

Bob,

Wow that is strange, sounds like really not a problem with fonts then. The only other try is to make sure you are running Plan-G as administrator. After that Tim will probably have to work this one out. A good idea might be to attach the Plan-G log from My Documents\Plan G Files.

Good luck
Roman

tim arnot

If the xps file is fine, and it prints okay from xpsviewer, all I can think is that some error was encountered when Plan-G tried to load and print that file. In which case the log file should show it.

Tim. @TimArnot

BobK

Okay, I renamed the existing Plan-G_Log.txt, launched Plan-G, loaded a flight plan, printed it, and exited.  Here's the resultant log.

tim arnot

Interesting. It doesn't show a problem. I'll need to poke around in the source and see what I can find. I'm out tonight, so I'm afraid it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Tim. @TimArnot

BobK

I can upload the temp.xps file as well, if you think it might help.