News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Adding waypoints by way of csv

Started by gkkes, November 25, 2009, 04:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkkes

Say I have an existing list of all waypoints in the UK (VAPID, NIGIT, PEPIS etc).
Would it be possible to create a UK_Waypoints.csv file from it?

If so, what would be the comma separated values convention for achieving this?

This would involve a lot of screen information, so maybe would require a further entry in "Map Settings" and possibly a search routine. Would this be achievable / desirable?

Thanks Tim

Kev

jschall

Quote from: gkkes on November 25, 2009, 04:11:22 PM
Would it be possible to create a UK_Waypoints.csv file?...
what would be the comma separated values convention for achieving this?

It's in Section  7.5 in the Manual. Here is more detail from Tim:

The format is:

Category: Text. Must be one of {Airstrip, Disused, Location, Obstacle, POI, VRP, IFR, Helipad}. (not case sensitive)

Name: Text. Max 50 characters

Identifier: Text. Max 10 characters

Latitude: Double. Decimal latitude. North is +ve; South is -ve

Longitude: Double. Decimal longitude. West is -ve; East is +ve

Elevation: Float. Elevation of item in feet AMSL

MagVar: Float. West is +ve, East is -ve (or 360 - angle. so 2 deg E can be -2 or 358)

Tag: Text. Max 20 characters

Notes: Text: Max 50 characters

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint-Hilaire, Québec
FSX SP2, Windows 7, AMD FX-62, Nvidia GTX550ti

tim arnot

When you've built it, if you wish to share, we have The Reporting Point, designed for just that purpose.  :)

Tim. @TimArnot

gkkes

Of course I will happily make it available.

My first thoughts though, are that Waypoints are a necessary aid when flying IFR.

My VA Home - EGNS (Ronaldsway, Isle of Man) uses KELLY and VANIN as Holds and SID's / STAR's and these are essential when route planning. My thought is that there are huge numbers of these worldwide and that this information may benefit from a "switch" within your menu strap under Navaids (currently just VOR's and NDB's) say "Fixes".

If a Category could be created for "waypoints" within the csv file, or whether the information is provided to you for inclusion in the mdb I believe this would provide a great advantage to all users in route planning within Plan-G.

As an example: EGBB - EGPH (Birmingham - Edinburgh)
I would initially visit http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ for an example route. (There are many other methods).

This gives:
EGBB TNT POL RIBEL SHAPP MARGO EGPH

This would involve a SID from Runway to TNT and a STAR from MARGO to the ILS (if used) At present, there are only 2 of these waypoints currently available within Plan-G, TNT and POL as they are Radio Navaids, RIBEL SHAPP MARGO and others required would be in any UK_waypoint.csv but would appear with all other csv information downloaded and installed so far, (UK_Obstacles etc) in a now pretty crowded display.

I wonder, as mentioned above whether these waypoints might deserve a greater priority within your database structure?

Great work

best wishes

Kev

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot

gkkes

tim arnot

The next release is planned for around Christmas time, and I'm not 100% sure this will be in it (although if it isn't, I'll add an 'IFR waypoint' VRP type, which for you would just be a search and replace exercise)

Tim. @TimArnot

gkkes

OK, are you saying I can go ahead and convert the data into a csv file using "IFR Waypoint" as the category ?

Thanks

Kev

tim arnot

If you want to use the data now, you'll need to use an existing category. But come Christmas, there will either be an IFR waypoint category or a different solution. From a flight plan perspective, the category of the waypoint doesn't matter (it mostly determines how it's displayed on the map), so any plans you make using your data will still work.

Tim. @TimArnot

gkkes

Further to this end I have been experimenting!

Please bear with me!

I loaded an existing Flightplan, which I believe I created within FSX, as before EGBB - EGPH (IFR).
If I load this into Plan-G, it actually knows these waypoints (RIBEL SHAPP MARGO), and I am able to see them, correctly named in Edit mode.
The Lat/Lon readout on the Status bar shows standard, not WSG84 which is I believe what is required in the data.

I don't know if this is addative, but could there be an easy workaround?

Kev

tim arnot

I don't think so - waypoints derived from the flight plan are only temporary.

Tim. @TimArnot

gkkes

I've added a Fixes.csv file for the UK in the interim.

This has been derived from bones' SBS-1 data package

Cheers

Kev

gkkes

BASys

Hi Folks

Tim -
For flingwing users,
any chance please of adding a category type of Helipad ?

Great to hear you're also implementing IFR.

PS
Love the bot traps.

Many thanks
ATB
Paul

tim arnot

Only if you make a rewards file for PNG...  ;)

Tim. @TimArnot