News:

Main Menu

Example Plan

Started by defreitj, July 18, 2013, 06:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defreitj

Hello Lady(ies), Gentlemen,
This is my first attempt since installing Plan-G in 2005, to ask a simple question. Allow me to apologise beforehand, if this is an incorrect area to post questions.
The question: In the manual, the example flight and explanation states that a "yellow airplane" would be visible in the map area. Why did I not see it?
1. Is it because I loaded the flight plan into FSX as a .PLN file?
2. Is it because my connection did not return sufficient information from FSX to Plan-G to FSX?
3. Also, why did the radio stack and PFD fail to populate, but the weather did?

BTW: This is the first time in umpteen years that I was able to implement Plan-G and network it and actually fly with it because I did not have the PC resources. I am now using two (2) computers, one, a laptop, the other, a very old PC which struggles with the manual, let alone the Plan-G application.

Again, if this is the incorrect area, I wish to apologise and no response is necessary or expected. However, if this the correct area, please let me know at your convenience.
Respectfully,

jd

sky one

Hello jd,

this is the right place to ask, but we need you provide more information about the connection:
- the two PCs are wire or wi-fi connected? If the connection is via wi-fi, is it a 802.11b or 802.11g or 802.11n? I found in the past that I had some trouble connecting a laptop (with Plan-G) to my X-Plane's desktop using a 802.11b wireless netowrk;
- when you connect the two PCs (pressing the "Connect" button in Plan-G) do you hear a sound? Is the "Connect" button becoming grayed-out?

Could you please attach the Plan-G log file? You can find it in the \Documents\Plan-G Files\ folder.

Regards,
Cristiano
X-plane user

tim arnot

Make sure the option "Show user aircraft" is checked.

Tim. @TimArnot

defreitj

Thank you, Sir,
It is, however, the instruction I have here is, to use F6...jd

defreitj

Quote from: sky one on July 18, 2013, 10:47:53 PM
Hello jd,

this is the right place to ask, but we need you provide more information about the connection:
- the two PCs are wire or wi-fi connected? If the connection is via wi-fi, is it a 802.11b or 802.11g or 802.11n? I found in the past that I had some trouble connecting a laptop (with Plan-G) to my X-Plane's desktop using a 802.11b wireless netowrk;
- when you connect the two PCs (pressing the "Connect" button in Plan-G) do you hear a sound? Is the "Connect" button becoming grayed-out?

Could you please attach the Plan-G log file? You can find it in the \Documents\Plan-G Files\ folder.

Regards,
Cristiano

Is this the way to reply with the log file info?
10:57:18.1

---===+++===---

10:57:18.8 Starting Plan-G, build 3.0.4.59
10:57:18.9 OS is Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
10:57:24.8 InitDataFolder
10:57:24.8 Data Source = C:\Users\DeFreitJ\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_FSX.sdf
10:57:24.8 Data Source = C:\Users\DeFreitJ\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_FS9.sdf
10:57:24.8 Data Source = C:\Users\DeFreitJ\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_XPX.sdf
10:57:24.8 Data Source = C:\Users\DeFreitJ\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_NAVI.sdf
10:57:24.8 Data Source = C:\Users\DeFreitJ\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\UserWaypoints.sdf
10:57:24.8 Data Source = C:\Users\DeFreitJ\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\MEF.sdf
10:57:33.2 Map tiles cache: C:\Users\DeFreitJ\AppData\Local\GMap.NET\
10:57:34.7 Program in: C:\Program Files\TA Software\Plan-G v3
10:57:34.7 Data in: C:\Users\DeFreitJ\Documents\Plan-G Files
10:57:34.7 IsDataLoaded: FSX
10:57:34.7 Data Source = C:\Users\DeFreitJ\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_FSX.sdf
10:57:37.5 Starting timer
10:57:37.5 DownloadCurrentMetars thread started
10:57:37.5 lTAF06Z.TXT started
10:57:38.5 Metar13Z.TXT started
10:57:38.8 lTAF06Z.TXT done
10:57:38.8 sTAF06Z.TXT started
10:57:38.9 sTAF06Z.TXT done
10:57:38.9 lTAF12Z.TXT started
10:57:39.5 lTAF12Z.TXT done
10:57:39.5 sTAF12Z.TXT started
10:57:39.7 sTAF12Z.TXT done
10:57:39.7 Metar14Z.TXT started
10:57:40.5 Metar13Z.TXT done
10:57:41.4 Metar14Z.TXT done
10:57:41.4 DownloadCurrentMetars done
10:57:44.2 ProcessMetars done
10:57:45.4 Connection string: metadata=res://*/Data.FSData.csdl|res://*/Data.FSData.ssdl|res://*/Data.FSData.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlServerCe.3.5;provider connection string='Data Source=|DataDirectory|\Data\PlanG3_FSX.sdf'
10:57:51.7 NdbsInBounds 0
10:57:52.0 VorsInBounds 1
10:57:52.7 AirportsInBounds 0
10:57:53.1 AirspaceInBounds 4
10:57:53.9 IsDataLoaded: FSX
10:57:53.9 Data Source = C:\Users\DeFreitJ\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_FSX.sdf
10:57:54.0 IsDataLoaded: FS9
10:57:54.0 Data Source = C:\Users\DeFreitJ\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_FS9.sdf
10:57:54.0 IsDataLoaded: XPlane
10:57:54.0 Data Source = C:\Users\DeFreitJ\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_XPX.sdf
10:57:54.9 NdbsInBounds 0
10:57:54.9 VorsInBounds 1
10:57:55.0 AirportsInBounds 0
10:57:55.2 AirspaceInBounds 4
10:57:55.5 Stopping timer
10:57:55.5 StartMap
10:57:55.6 NdbsInBounds 0
10:57:55.6 VorsInBounds 1
10:57:55.7 AirportsInBounds 0
10:57:55.9 AirspaceInBounds 4
10:57:55.9 NdbsInBounds 0
10:57:56.0 VorsInBounds 1
10:57:56.1 AirportsInBounds 0
10:57:56.2 AirspaceInBounds 4
10:57:56.5 NdbsInBounds 0
10:57:56.6 VorsInBounds 1
10:57:56.7 AirportsInBounds 0
10:57:56.9 AirspaceInBounds 4
10:58:02.3 _Backstage_IsOpenChanged: True
11:07:12.3 NdbsInBounds 0
11:07:12.3 VorsInBounds 1
11:07:12.4 AirportsInBounds 0
11:07:12.7 AirspaceInBounds 4

defreitj

Hello Cristiano,

YeeeeeeeeeHAHAHA HAhahahahaha!!!
I can see my "little yellow plane" now, hehehe, it worked!
It only took me nineteen days!

Please, I would like to run the FSX and Plan-G on two separate computers.
Must I have, absolutely, WideFS to do so?

Without Prejudice.
I broached this question to an author, who read, did not reply but proceeded to block my message because he failed to appreciate, either the Queen's english or the direct question. His, and the multitude of "opinions' concerning the WideFS program and the exhaustive and conflicting version(s) information posted by same, ellicited the harsh response, I presume, in order to parry the direct question.
In a subsequent attempt to obtain a definitive answer, my second message was immediately censored with an immediate deletion  of the "in progress post" by the "moderator", without response.

I bought the FSUIPC4 in 2010 but found that is was a "duplication" of the FSX controls already existing though, somewhat granularised and "fine-tuned?" and my technical know-how coupled with the verbose and confusing, yet related documentation forced me to ignore it.

With the advent of Plan-G v3 (I had tried version 2, however, my computer gave me the "finger" at that time) and my curiosity, I wished, merely, to try out the programs on separate computers.

I did not want to spend more money for another program that might not enhance my limited ability to configure its supposed  functionality, hence the need for proper clarification as to the veracity of the WideFS's capabilities.

So, as to my unanswered question, elsewhere, I wish to ask of you, a candid opinion, please.

Do I need, absolutely, to purchase the WideFS in order to connect the FSX to Plan-G, on two separate computers; one being a laptop with Windows 7 and the other, a desktop running Windows Vista?

At present, I am able to use both, FSX and Plan-G on the laptop, hence the opening "YeHa!", however, the resource limitations cause "stuttering" but is acceptable. I am "tickled pink" with the Plan-G's performance. I could even see the PFD and radio stack, now! Pretty cool!
Also, I am using a registered copy of FSPassengers X and so far I have " killed" more people than the black and red plagues, combined!

I do not wish to purchase the WideFS if I could realise the same results, otherwise.

I do find the author's blatant, assumptive and abusive response to a straightforward question, appalling, more so since he has indicated in his online documentation that the FSUIPC has been compromised and "we" must re-purchase another copy, version 7.

His aloofness and arrogant response cultivate piracy.

And, Yes, I have used this opportunity to vent my displeasure with the author's evasiveness about the veracity of the behavioural aspects of the program.
I hope this is viewed by the parties concerned, so that they may post my original and subsequent message, as a defense for their presumptive actions.Thank you.
Respectfully,

jd

sky one

Hello JD,

no, you don't have to buy WideFS: you can connect Plan-G to FSX using SimConnect, that cames with FSX. Please follow the manual (section 19.3 - don't bother about section 19.3.2): you need to edit a file, but it's easy to do. If and only if this connection doesn't work, you need to buy WideFS.
Feel free to reply if you find any problem (maybe check the forum to see if your problem has been solved) or to tell us everything works well!

Regards.
Cristiano
X-plane user

tim arnot

Please make sure that the version of FSX you are using is either "SP2" or "Acceleration", then you can use the built-in SimConnect. You only need WideFS if you are using the older SP1/release versions, or you are using FS9.

But do be aware that there are some bugs in the simconnect implementation that cause Plan-G to crash occasionally. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about them as the Microsoft programmer is long gone.

Tim. @TimArnot

defreitj

Gentlemen,

You are absolutely correct!

I did it! Before I had the opportunity to read your responses, I remained awake until 2:00am, slogging at it!
It works like a charm! I was able to install, run and watch my little "yellow plane" move across the screen and reposition itself. For a half blind, stroke ridden and inept "wannabe" desktop pilot, this is an accomplishment, extraordinaire. Fait accompli!

I discovered that the main issue regarding the setup was, of the inappropriately assigned shared folders and the proper configuration of ports. I am using, now,  port #5005, because the 4505-4510 range failed to respond due to my lacking.

(I used a little program called "currport" to determine the more appropriate and available port; after the proper sharing and port assignment it began working by itself, to the extent that I thought I had broken something. I had forgottten that I had enabled the SimConnect verbose window and I sat there looking at reams of code rushing of into nowhereland, for several hours.
I went to bed and could not sleep because of the feeling of failure. I got up and reconfigured the 4505 port to 5005 and whilst I was busy setting up FSX, lo and behold, I looked at my other computer and there "she" was; my little yellow plane!

I could even use the radio stack, PFD, weather and all the rest of the functionality in Plan-G. You may not appreciate my elation, but your quick and cordial responses motivated me. As regards the crashing to the desktop, I have not evperienced such, as of yet. When, and if it occurs, I shall inform you.

The addition of the Plan-G alongside PassengersX made for a beautiful flight experience. Not only did I land without shredding a tyre, I also had 195 souls intact, even though they "complained" about a hard landing and poor taste in music. I was able, also, to cheat the red and black plages of their insatiable appetites.

I have discovered, also, that the Plan-G v3.0.4.59 is quite resilient to abuse and is most responsive under stress. (i.e.) running multiple copies at the same time, due to oversight).

I am thankful for your candid responses, your technical input and most of all, for not discarding a "newbie" for asking direct, yet somewhat intrusive questions.

Plan-G, as it stands, DOES what the documentation says it will do! I am grinning from ear to ear as I compose this response.

You may never receive another technical request from me, however, it is a calming reassurance that I may pose these questions without fear of arbitrary reprisal.
Gentlemen, thank you; for your creativity, technical disclipline, ingenuity and consummate professionalism!
Respectfully,

jd

tim arnot

Thank you. But please improve your taste in music; it is quite distressing! ;)

Seriously though, port 450x is normally available on most PCs, but of course there's no guarantee of what else might be running, or if the port has been taken by something else.

Tim. @TimArnot

sky one

Great job JD!  :afro:

Thank-you for your kindness.
X-plane user

defreitj

Hello,

This request may not be applicable to this forum since it is more related to FSX behavioural functionality, however, it is the only place from which I have been able to obtain accurate responses.
My immediate challenge is to land and retain nose gear functionality. There are two (2) issues related to each other. (I think)

1. On takeoff, the flaps are always damaged resulting in an approach/land failure.

Q, Are the flaps values failure tied to the A/T set speed (set at 230 kts) or to the joystick thrust, which I have read must be 100%, but the %age rises beyond 102% - maybe 105%; and, I raise them from 10 to 0 even before the KIAS ribbon is reading 230 kts. I hear this "rattle, stagger, stagger, rattle" and the co-pilot sits there and criticises that "There might be no flaps left....."

2. On final, the GPWS insists on reporting:
(a) "Too low, Flaps" at 160 kts, KIAS ribbon, reducing from 170 kts, KIAS ribbon. I apply these values based on Werner Schott's checklist.
(b) From the co-pilot's "Oh God, weeeezzze gonna hit the ground"!!! Poor fellow, I have killed him so many times I would like, really, to take him home to his family in one piece, soon.

Q. What is the set landing speed on this 747-400 Livery beauty; and, why does the AP, which is invoked correctly, I presume, fail to manage both; the descent rate fpm and the N1 thrust, to obtain a smoother landing experience. Also, should the "diamond" be centered, in rhe PFD, with the center bar in the altitude ribbon of the glidescope or, should the APP button be depressed when the "tip" of the "diamond" touches the center bar.

I have set the Gear Entension limitation in Plan-G, to 180 kts, however, it failed to deploy correctly at 180 kts on approach even though FSX has it rated for 188 kts. I initiated a "missed approach" and tried the CTRL+G, for manual deployment. Needless to say, the "grim reaper" returned with a vengeance.

So, should I be more concerned with th Ground Speed values for TO/Landing as opposed to those set in A/T IAS/MACH, for a better flight experience?
Should I use the TO/GA capability for Take Off?

Finally, FSPaX is unrelenting in that it shows log values beyond what I think I am applying in both TO and LANDing and I am going broke with repair assessments!
With absolute fairness and appreciation to FSPaX, it has  improved, certainly, my thinking and approach to "realistic FSX flight" since I have taken this aircraft everywhere and on every continent, with success. (It does go to one's head, does it not, until one experiences FSPaX!)aarrggghh.

Between Tim Arnot, Cristiano "Sky One", Dan Polli and David "Opa" Marshall, where else could one find such ""adrenaline-rush"  flight entertainment?"" ((ok,ok, so I am old :))
Any input to this concern would be most welcome and equally appreciated.
Thank you.
jd

tim arnot

I have no clue when it comes to operation of airliners, sorry.

Tim. @TimArnot