News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Question about the maps

Started by JMaskev, August 02, 2013, 02:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMaskev

Hi,

I'm fairly new to FSX and brand new to Plan-G. Just love all the aspects of the program this far, but have some questions.

I have gone thru the tutorial in the manual and had a plan to make a flight plan around my local airport in Norway.
To my disappointment I noticed that there is no Visual Reference Points in Norway, at least not around where I'm from(Trondheim).

Maybe this is asked before, but could not find anything in the manual. Is there any 3rd party software that I can install so that I get Visual Reference Point in Norway? :)

Cheers

tim arnot

I can point you at the Norway AIP. https://www.ippc.no/ If no one has already done it, you would need to find the VRPs listed within it and add them manually. They can easily be exported later should you desire, and uploaded here for the benefit of others. :)

But there's no getting around it: someone has to do the hard slog of finding the data and adding it.

The Norway CAA also produce a guide to visual flying in Norway, which may be of interest: http://www.luftfartstilsynet.no/incoming/article5552.ece/BINARY/VFR-guide2012+nettversjon.pdf

Tim. @TimArnot

JMaskev

Thank you for the reply Tim,

Could not find anything related to VRPs on the site. Maybe it is called something else or have some abbreviation that I'm not aware of.

If I had a list of VRPs I would not mind to start and export them to a list and publish it for public use. If I just get some guidance of course. :)

JMaskev

The only VRPs I can find, is the ones around the airports. And I don't know if it is necessary to make a list of these? Since you normally have VORs to guide you on the airports?

The VRPs on the airport maps don't have any GPS position marked, so may be difficult to get a precise position.

But if you feel like guiding me in the right direction and that it is worth it, I would be glad to help a try to make a list.
I'm quite new to Flight Sim, so I'm not in a state to tell you what could be used or not  :P

tim arnot

VRPs are Visual Reporting Points. They are usually tied to a physical feature, e.g. Junction 5 of the freeway, so they should be easy to locate, both on a map and by looking out the window (which is what VFR flying is about). VORs are largely not relevant to a VFR pilot. (remember, Plan-G is a VFR program, regardless of whether you use it while flying a 747)

Yes, VRPs are mostly associated with particular airports, so you'll probably find them shown on the visual approach plate. The lat/lon coordinates ought to be listed in the text sections for the airport in the AIP documents.

IRL, ATC will tell you "report passing xyz" where xyz is a VRP. If you are a RL pilot, or using FS to boost your RL pilot training, then having access to the VRPs in your area is definitely an important thing. :)

Also, many VATSIM controllers are familiar with VFR ops, and so you could also be asked to report VRPs if you fly VFR online (you definitely will in the UK).

Tim. @TimArnot

JMaskev

Got a hold of the sectorfiles for the scandinavian VATSIM ATC's, and also got a tip that there is a lot of VFR reporting points in one particular file.
I just have to locate them  ::)

When I DO locate them, any chance that someone could assist me how to set ut the files to get them into Plan-G?  :)

JMaskev

Have been able to locate a lot of VRPs that is used in VATSIM Scandinavia! :)

All I now need is some guidance for how to put them into a database so that they can be used with Plan-G.
Maybe someone could upload a current database from another country, so that I have something to look at and compare to?

Cheers!

sky one

Quote from: JMaskev on August 05, 2013, 01:18:16 PM
Maybe someone could upload a current database from another country, so that I have something to look at and compare to?
You can look at one of these: http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2106.0
X-plane user

JMaskev

Thank you.

I can see that there are different setup in the different databases.
Anyone that could help me out what is going in what column?

tim arnot

Manual, page 45/46, Managing the User Waypoints Database.

Tim. @TimArnot